Algae Scrubber Progression

Jeremevans

I put together a pretty basic algae scrubber under an LED grow light in my refugium and it seems to be progressing nicely. This is my first time setting up an ATS--please tell me if you see anything that I should be concerned about. 

If I was doing this again I would have taken pictures without the grow lights on, but at least you can see today's picture in that way.

This progression covers 6 days. I teed off my return pump and put what I think is a lot of flow through this scrubber although I haven't measured it. Originally I was going to use an MJ1200 to run it, but decided to reduce the clutter in the sump and just split a line off the return pump. I would guess this flow rate is similar to and probably a little higher than the MJ.

Now, should I expect my skimmer to start putting out less crud?

Jeremy

2017-03-18_11-32-47.jpg

2017-03-18_11-40-52.jpg

Looks good the only thing I see is it appears to be touching the water line. With mine I tried to be just above but the lower algae was falling off and getting pumped into the display. Which I think has a lot to do with my current algae issue  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vance164 said:

Looks good the only thing I see is it appears to be touching the water line. With mine I tried to be just above but the lower algae was falling off and getting pumped into the display. Which I think has a lot to do with my current algae issue  

This was more of an accident than by design, but maybe it is a good design after all. When I set it up I realized that it was a little longer than I expected.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 6:26 PM, TheClark said:

Cool, nice job.  So, do you see an impact?

I think it is too early to tell. I would like to believe my phosphates are lower but the Salifert test is hard to read at low levels and I can't be sure it moved lower yet. If it turns clear then maybe I will say yes.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:03 PM, danlu_gt said:

Try to mount the led from the sides instead of from the top.

Also, I would put some sort of acrylic box around it to prevent water splashes once algae fill the screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wanted to do that, but given the space constraints I went with an overkill light and mounted it above so that the refugium shares the light. Here is a picture that might help show the setup better. The light is a Mars Aqua led with grow spectrum for plants. It seems to grow algae like a champ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291666162702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IMG_1532.JPG.77d917310ef7d45ebbe1ecb0de8f39c5.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One week from setup and it already has a nice sheet developing, nice DIY job there. Did you start it off with that powerful Grow LED from the get go or was it a more "traditional" sump light in the beginning? I have some cheesy outdoor LEDs I was wanting to use for a project like this but was not too sure if the results would be worth while. How many watts is that unit your using now?

12 on/off. I run this opposite of the tank lights. I should add some update pictures. The light is overkill and even with a plastic cover over each side of all grows great. I removed GFO reactor and phosphates after still undetectable using Salifert (and my eyes... ).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I went to a ATS on my 120 about 4 months ago and it is doing great!

PH and nits have all held to 0. Algae growth in the tank has stopped progressing and I'm worried the snails are now starving :( Otherwise everyone looks really happy.

Till now I am still harvesting green to dark green algae, not the bright light green it's supposed to progress too. Dunno why, but I think it takes time, or I don't feed enough.

Has really simplified by maintenance routine though :)

• Like 1