Cyano in sump

Ninjabeaver

Has anyone else run into getting cyano in their sump areas.  I used to get some in the display, but it has gone away and now I see it in the sump, it coats  my macro algae and chokes it out.  Its a low flow area so every day I need to manually agitate it or blow it off the macros and sump rocks.

I had the same issue. Not only cyano but other nasty green slime, and bubble algae. I replumbed my return for more flow and reduced my lights on time from 12 hours to 8. No more cyano and the other slime is only in little patches in the corners.

Laugh it up fuzz ball.

Yesterday I switched out my sump light, because even when it was off, if I held the t5 fixture and touched the side of the sump I got an electrical shock, so I switched to a desk lamp.  what would be a good bulb to put in there?

that photo shows the old t5 lamp that was set up.  It comes on at night opposite hours of the display.

IMG_0522.JPG

I had the same issue. Not only cyano but other nasty green slime, and bubble algae. I replumbed my return for more flow and reduced my lights on time from 12 hours to 8. No more cyano and the other slime is only in little patches in the corners.

Laugh it up fuzz ball.

I also get some weird bacterial spines from time to time.

I think I need to switch bulbs, increase flow in that chamber and reduce photo period down there too.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.