Nano without a skimmer?

PowderBlue

Ok nano experts let's see what you think.

I am setting up a lagoon 25 next week, I have intank media baskets, innovative marine media reactor, 2 maxijet 1200 pumps for return, and 2 bags of chemipure elite.

I ran the ghost skimmer on my last fusion 10 and it didn't seem to do much. I am going to have 2 fish, a clown and a yellow Goby with his pistol shrimp. My question is, have any of you successfully kept corals happy and growing without a skimmer on these smaller tanks?

I'm wondering if the media reactor, chemipure elite, and live rock would suffice or if I should just order the skimmer?

I will have a few pieces of sps in the tank, along with LPS and softies.

I also have a lot of internal flow as I'll run a gyre 130 along with the 2 maxijet 1200s. ATO will be hooked up to keep water levels stable as well.

Let me know what you think and what your experience has been with or without a skimmer on these little guys.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Frequent water changes might be a way to get away without a skimmer on a small setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm thinking 5 gallons twice a week maybe? I'll be starting with new sand but established rock from my last tank.

We have had 3 nano.  None of them had skimmers.  The ghost skimmers suck meaning they are not worth any amount of Money. Garbage in my opinion.  I do a weekly water change about 2-4 gallons depends on if I clean back chambers or not.  

I was thinking to run a HOB one.   Back in the day I ran a Red Sea HOB and that thing was great for the Money.  

I've never found them to make much difference, water changes and controlled feeding works well. A good cleaner crew is also a great help. 

Your flame is doing great by the way, enjoying the company of his new lady friend! 

• Like 1

No skimmers on any of my nanos. Everything was fine until the family member help now one of my nanos is recycling, but still I do not use skimmers. Just chemipure blue and purigen. I do min. of 3 gallons to 5 gallons a week unless I'm lazy then every other week.

Kim dishing the knowledge after hours!  Yeah, couldn't sleep either...
Randall, did you decide whether or not to run a reactor?  Guessing you probably won't need to if you end up going the route of more frequent water changes.  BTW, what happened to the wrasse?

The six line went MIA while tearing the tank down, the unknown wrasse is in my holding tank but I'm getting rid of it once I setup the lagoon!

No skimmer for me! I also pulled it off my frag system and saw Good results. I have Nuvo 20: no powerheads, no skimmer, filter floss and that's it. I feed once a day. Have two clowns, a six line, chromis and two shrimp. Zero algae and amazing growth. I think my stuff grows better in there than in my frag tank lol.

I do water changes once every two weeks only do 2.5 gallons.

• Like 1

I've learned that keeping it simple yields the best results imo. The Nuvo is the easiest tank I've ever had, and it yields some of the best results. As proof, I moved my high end zoas into it instead of my frag tank and it has 1/20th the water volume lol! Great growth and color. Granted it is mostly lps and zoas. But I do have a few montis and they look great and are growing well :)
043891b52d670df87260514e159196e5.jpg62d68d0ccfd284b2ccabf1b21fbe8487.jpg

• Like 1

No skimmer for me! I also pulled it off my frag system and saw Good results. I have Nuvo 20: no powerheads, no skimmer, filter floss and that's it. I feed once a day. Have two clowns, a six line, chromis and two shrimp. Zero algae and amazing growth. I think my stuff grows better in there than in my frag tank lol.
I do water changes once every two weeks only do 2.5 gallons.

That's what I'm looking for. The reason I tore down my big tank was just simply to find something I didn't have to fuss with all the time. This fusion 20 I have setup right now is perfect. I can do a water change in 3 minutes and clean out the filter section in like 5 haha!

Then keep it simple! The Nuvo is at school and my job is in my home town. So I see it only when I'm at school which is a few days a week. And over breaks I go without seeing it for a while (4week during Christmas lol). Just have a big ATO reservoir (5gallon) and you'll be fine. I never do anything with the Nuvo. Hardly change the water, feed once a day or so, and that's it. I never have to fuss with it.
Now my frag tanks are another story lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paratore said:

I've learned that keeping it simple yields the best results imo. The Nuvo is the easiest tank I've ever had, and it yields some of the best results. As proof, I moved my high end zoas into it instead of my frag tank and it has 1/20th the water volume lol! Great growth and color. Granted it is mostly lps and zoas. But I do have a few montis and they look great and are growing well :)
043891b52d670df87260514e159196e5.jpg62d68d0ccfd284b2ccabf1b21fbe8487.jpg

Think I could see this thing sometime?

• Like 1

Think I could see this thing sometime?

Definitely! I'm over in Philomath. Right now I'm mostly in Salem working but I'll message you when I'm back in town! The Frag tank is in Independence and has much more in it to look at if you prefer. But you're more than welcome to come check out the Nuvo! :)

6 hours ago, PowderBlue said:

The six line went MIA while tearing the tank down, the unknown wrasse is in my holding tank but I'm getting rid of it once I setup the lagoon!

Totally forgot about the 6-line... was thinking about the solar(ish) wrasse.  I was wondering since he didn't end up on your stock list - thought he might have never made it out of the overflow.

Totally forgot about the 6-line... was thinking about the solar(ish) wrasse.  I was wondering since he didn't end up on your stock list - thought he might have never made it out of the overflow.

I caught him:) he gets evicted very soon haha

• Like 1

I've ran a 20 gallon nano with no equipment but a heater, light, return pump, and little pump for water flow and that's it. It has a $89 Sky LED from Petco that everyone tells me won't grow coral, then they see old pics of my tank and the Hollywood stunner puts on about a half inch a month, candy canes have all grown new heads. Anemone grew and split and both halves are doing great. Grows zoas and mushrooms like crazy and used to grow a Cali tort just fine till I killed it. My point is, frequent water changes, 10% every 2 weeks minimum is all you need. I have a pair of clowns, a foxface and a humu trigger, as well as a lawnmower blenny and a Ruby Red Dragonette. It had two clams as well but a certain filefish made sure they didn't live :(