ATO......how do you do yours

The ReefBox

Curious how people set up there ATO's. I typically run a line directly to a float valve in my sump and check tgd vslve weekly to make sure it is working properly  i have done it other ways in tge past but finf this works the best for me. I set up redunancies to minimize leak disaters

anyone else use this method ?

please share your methods, ive heard that going straight ftom rodi csn lead to TDS creeping in to tank but not sure if this factual 

47 minutes ago, Brian67 said:

Curious how people set up there ATO's. I typically run a line directly to a float valve in my sump and check tgd vslve weekly to make sure it is working properly  i have done it other ways in tge past but finf this works the best for me. I set up redunancies to minimize leak disaters

please share your methods, ive heard that going straight ftom rodi csn lead to TDS creeping in to tank but not sure if this factual 

It would make sense that if the RODI filter is dying, you will start to have the TDS climbing. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I personally just use my doser as an ATO. I think right now it is set at 2.755 liters per day. The doser pulls from a 5 gallon of RODI, which I replace every week or so.

My reefkeeper has a float that triggers an aqualifter to pump from a 5 gal container. Same system runs a float on my skimmate container in case the skimmer goes warp 10 and overflows the collector. 

As far as my RODI goes, it always needs flushed prior to production so if it was direct to the tank I'd be worried about TDS creep unless you get a timed flush valve to keep it fresh (seems like a blatant waste of water but maybe  that's just me).

3 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

My reefkeeper has a float that triggers an aqualifter to pump from a 5 gal container. Same system runs a float on my skimmate container in case the skimmer goes warp 10 and overflows the collector. 

As far as my RODI goes, it always needs flushed prior to production so if it was direct to the tank I'd be worried about TDS creep unless you get a timed flush valve to keep it fresh (seems like a blatant waste of water but maybe  that's just me).

This is pretty much my setup as well.  My "float" is actually a pair of redundant reed switches tied to a stand alone ATO unit (relay) running an aqua lifter drawing from a 5 gallon container. There is a separate "overflow" reed switch tied to my Aquatronica controller that powers the whole ATO unit and cuts off if something goes wrong.  So, basically two levels of fail safe - one on the ATO itself and one via controller.

Floats

I run three floats.  This allows for automated water changes as well.  

1 float for top off Swx5_1.

1 float to detect top off fail (SUMP_HIGH Swx5_2 )

1 float to detect when sump is low (SUMP LOW)

APEX can detect when the main float fails, code like this:

LOFLOATFAIL

Fallback ON
If Swx5_1 OPEN Then OFF
If Swx5_2 CLOSED Then OFF

The Swx5_1 is the regular ATO float.  

Basically if it is closed, and the second switch is open that means that both switches are floating (open) and that the first float has failed. An alert is triggered and I know to change out the float.

Pumps

ATO is ran by peristaltic pumps that pump from the garage to the upstairs office.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DER02OE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used aqualifters for years, but now the water station is in the garage, sumps are upstairs.  

RODI Station

Mounted in the garage, kinda messy

Double membrane

Triple TDS Meter (in from house, out of RODI, out of DI)

Twice a week I turn on the RODI for a few hours automatically via the apex and a 12v solenoid.  It goes into a 40 gallon brute.  By doing it twice a week enough water is made that the TDS creep is offset by the volume of water (20-30 gallons a batch).

There is a 1/4" float shutoff in the brute in case the apex runs too long, no overflows.

Old pic, note the solenoid on the bottom center

8eac6203ecf2b26b39ffe2a88b5e3d1b.jpg

Triple TDS Meter, these are cool

34b58e2737291e2655c643a2589b5308.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian67 said:

What do you mean by TDS creeping in to the tank?  

I ran direct from RODI to float valve in my sump.  I do see tiny dripping into the sump at the float value sometime when the water level was full/barely low ( this is what you meant TDS creeping???).  I want to fix it but don't know how.

7 minutes ago, caolewis said:

What do you mean by TDS creeping in to the tank?  

Assuming it is for "Total Dissolved Solids" - which is a common measurement on these RODI units (see TheClark's pic above). I think the issue might be that one typically sees a brief spike in TDS when first starting up the RODI so, for the best quality, you would usually not collect the initial filtrate and wait for the TDS to stabilize.  If you are doing your ATO directly from the RODI to your sump, you end up dumping that initial, less pure, water into the tank.  I would be curious how big a problem this might actually be given that an RODI connected directly to a sump via ATO probably never sits in the "non running" mode for all that much time - at least not on a large system.  This might significantly reduce that startup TDS spike.  Then again, I might be completely missing the point (as per usual). 

2 hours ago, Brian67 said:

I evap about 5 gallon per day and wife will not have a barrel in house to draw water from

Same here and I wont even allow myself a bucket in the house ;) you saw mine in the garage............just spend the dough and get a spectrapure..........best ATO out there!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Aerixx said:

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/hi-lo-tank-level-controller/

This would be a more automatic solution, avoiding TDS creep, and having it fill itself. You'd need a 1/4" solenoid for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That buckeye is cool!

FWIW, APEX does the same thing with two float switches as well.  

It requires a slightly different program than the usual ATO, basically you remove the default state and let the top and bottom floats turn the solenoid off and on.

If you are an apex user, there is very little incremental cost.

• Like 1

That buckeye is cool!
FWIW, APEX does the same thing with two float switches as well.  
It requires a slightly different program than the usual ATO, basically you remove the default state and let the top and bottom floats turn the solenoid off and on.
If you are an apex user, there is very little incremental cost.

I may have to message you on instructions to do that, and it's another reason to get an Apex

1 minute ago, Aerixx said:

I may have to message you on instructions to do that, and it's another reason to get an Apex

Anytime, for sure.

It turns out, I used to do it this way in a 5 gallon container just due to tds creep.  One low float, one high float.

Another cool option is this guy:  It automatically dumps the first 18 seconds of RODI water for you and boosts pressure.  

I have no experience but it looks cool!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMBPNHI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=19SX8JUM9HC0S&coliid=I3AASCNC5I17OG

b14c768d-f294-4c9c-90ca-9b81173678c7.jpg

30 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

No problem.. I set timer on it as well so it would only max on for 5min continuously every 3 hrs in case dual water sensors both failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons I haven't gone this route is how to make sure the unlimited water making potential of my RODI doesn't end up all over the floor of my dinning room!  Definitely a safety component I would incorporate into any direct feed setup.  Another approach would be to tie into a water sensor (spill sensor) shutoff - of course, that would mean you would have already added enough to the tank to cause an overflow!

Mr officer.  In my opinion,  TDS creeping is not big deal for your size of tank, so a float valve (well mounted inside your sump) with direct feeding from RODI is not issue.  I ran this way for more than 3 years and I copied that from Reefjunkies but not sure he does that no more ( u could check with him ).  A simple  solution that will get you away from unnesessary redundancies unless you have dedicated roomy fish room and cool toys to play with.

I had this TDS concerns a while back when I saw RODI water trickle through floater valve when sump level went low but not low enough to get booster pump kicked in.  But if there's TDS creeping issue, the whole tank should struggle, not a piece here or there once a while.

Edited by caolewis