Tide pool!

6 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I remember reading about this a while back... looking forward to seeing it in action!  What all do you plan to keep in it?

Same!  I had to go back and look at the date of this thread, to make sure it wasn't some crazy old thing popping back up, like that out of bounds thread.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, Jack!

Thanks everybody!

It's been forever in the making. We bought a house as I was gathering pieces for this, so it got put in the garage for a while. 

It's going to be an Oregon coast tide pool tank. I'll go out and collect everything for it myself. I'm going to keep it pretty simple though. Mainly different anemones, and some interesting crustaceans if I find any. 

• Like 2

I've run into a problem. Hopefully someone smarter than me can help me figure it out. 

Everything runs great, the only problem is that it's really loud. The drain is just a straight shot down to the sump. I made a u shape at the bottom of the drain, but it's still way too loud. 

Any ideas?

IMG_1880.JPG

You need some sort of valve to control the flow. Having just a open pipe the water will spill and be noisy. Its kind of like a durso and they are noisy to me. Hate to say it but you need to have 2 drains one with a valve and the other as an emergency just in case the first is plugged.

• Like 1

What are the laws for collecting from the tide pools?

I have been wanting to setup a cold water tank with stuff I collect from the coast but I've never been sure about what laws and regulations there are for doing this. For example I know most sport fish you can't catch and then take home to throw in your pond without risking a huge fine. I found a website that was talking about it only be restricted in protected areas but I haven't found any actual laws or regulations though.

3 hours ago, Fearnofish541 said:

What are the laws for collecting from the tide pools?

I have been wanting to setup a cold water tank with stuff I collect from the coast but I've never been sure about what laws and regulations there are for doing this. For example I know most sport fish you can't catch and then take home to throw in your pond without risking a huge fine. I found a website that was talking about it only be restricted in protected areas but I haven't found any actual laws or regulations though.

Try this http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shellfish/regulations.asp I know you need a license and also just make sure you are in an area that is open to harvesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't had time to tear into the chiller. But I figured out the noise problem at least. I driller s second home in the stand pipe and added second tube. This way I should be able to have the drain on full siphon. I might actually just run the whole thing on a big canister filter. Then I could just run the return through the chiller (assuming I eventually get one that works).

IMG_1915.JPG

• Like 1