Jump to content

Very Important Info to Have on Hand


Twitterbait
 Share

Recommended Posts

With the recent questions about Zoo toxins I would like to recommend that you all print this link off and keep it near the tank. If you get hit with Zoo juice then take it with you to the doctor. it will provide them with the information they need to treat you correctly and quickly.

 

http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/To...oxin.html#0001

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Twitterbait,

This is excellent advice, I'd have family members aware of it also. After spending the first 15 minutes in emergency explaining what happened I here them on the phone to poison control "He was bit by some type of sea urchin thing" pause "I don't know how, I guess he has one in his house":eek:

Any way I will be making a list of all my venomous fish, with symptoms and treatments after this.

or if anybody has a list I'd appreciate a copy.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the post Twitterbait. Wow!That is very toxic!

The LD50 in mice is <100 ng/kg (nanogram per kilogram) The LD50 is the dose that kills half (50%) of the animals tested (LD = "lethal dose").

 

A nanogram is one billionth of a gram.

One ng/kg corresponds to one part per trillion.

(Hopefully these are all posted correctly, as I am not a chemist... ;))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

what is it for humans though....the LD50 for bee stings is 1000 but 1 can kill a hypersensitive person...how do you get effected by zoos...through cuts or in the eye? or just on the skin...i personally play in them all the time to no ill effect...probably even ate without washing my hands...but i definately dont doubt the effects...can anyone personally share any first hands stories?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

what is it for humans though....the LD50 for bee stings is 1000 but 1 can kill a hypersensitive person...how do you get effected by zoos...through cuts or in the eye? or just on the skin...i personally play in them all the time to no ill effect...probably even ate without washing my hands...but i definately dont doubt the effects...can anyone personally share any first hands stories?

 

I knew this would come up!(laugh) >100ng/kg (less than 100 nanograms per kilogram of body weight)

A 200 lb. person (200 divided by 2.2 = 90.9 Kilos 90.9 X 100ng= 9090ng.

Less than 9090ng would be the LD50 for a 200lb person.

 

The LD50 figure is a ratio of, in this case, ng of the toxin per kg body weight, whether it is a mouse or a human.

 

You can figure out how much 9090 nanograms is in other measurements... my head hurts. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think all zoas contain this toxin. If so i should be dead.

 

I don't know which zoas contain the toxin, or which don't so its best to be cautious with all of them. But i've got zoa juice in my mouth, eyes, in cuts, you name it. Never even had a rash from it. It does freak me out so i donno why i continue to play with fire.

 

One thing to note, there has not been a single documented case where someone could prove that the toxin was responsible for an illness or death in our hobby that i can find. There are so many other variables that could lead to a rash, or an irritated eye, or whatever your symptoms might be. Just think of all the bacterias that are in our tanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zoos dangers

 

Pretty close John, not bad !

 

9090 ng = 9.09 microg (ug)

If you read further in the link sent by Twit they write that 5 microg (ug) is considered to be lethal in human see quote below

 

"Agent Properties

Palytoxin is the most toxic natural product known, it is estimated that the lethal dose for a human is less than five micrograms. Supplies are extremely limited as it is only found at low concentrations in the corals that do contain it, although this may change if a microbial source is found.

 

This is of course an average number not taking in consideration any supersensitivity or reactivity of some individuals. Thus some people could be affceted very severly at sub-lethal doses. probably found in our tanks It's obvious that using gloves and eye protection when manipulating Zoos could avoid serious adverse effects. Certainly would make sense. And I agree posting such information close to the tank would be a good reminder of the dangers but could also help keep curious adventurer away from the tank.

 

there is another famous link on RC about a reefer who lost his dog to Zoos. You might already know about it, quite scary and sad!

 

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158730

 

 

 

Thanks Twit

 

 

 

I knew this would come up!(laugh) >100ng/kg (less than 100 nanograms per kilogram of body weight)

A 200 lb. person (200 divided by 2.2 = 90.9 Kilos 90.9 X 100ng= 9090ng.

Less than 9090ng would be the LD50 for a 200lb person.

 

The LD50 figure is a ratio of, in this case, ng of the toxin per kg body weight, whether it is a mouse or a human.

 

You can figure out how much 9090 nanograms is in other measurements... my head hurts. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...