hospital tank?

kriswaters

Using rocks can be a bad idea since many medications will kill the bacteria on the rocks and cause ammonia spikes.

IMO the best is barebottom, so it is easy to keep clean. IME large water changes replacing the same amount of medication that is changed in the water change is the best way to go. I use plastic plants or other things that are easily bleached for this application.

JME

Also if you use copper medication, it will soak into the rock. This does two things. First it lowers the concentration of copper that you are trying to medicate (less effective), and second it can leach out afterwards.

Maybe a little bit of sand that gets thrown out after, or a sponge filter that you have had in the tank for a week or so before the hospital is used.

dsoz

bare bottom, thow in a few pieces of PVC so they have some hiding space, do not put in LR if you intend to medicate. Be far warned that if your not careful many meds will reduce the oxygen in the water, medicate when you can keep a close eye on your fish thats being treated and pay close attention to gill movement. I think my meds have killed more fish than they have healed. Another good tip is treat with hypo (lower salinity) will usually affect the parasite more than the fish 1.019 with a refractometer is a good place to get it to after a day of dilution. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again, and just to add, none of my fish are ill. My new BTA met fate with the power head (my bad). He is in the sump and I thought of setting up a small hospital/QT type tank so that if he demised, it wouldn't spoil the display.

He is still in the sump and abou 1/4 of him looks ok...the rest yuck! I think he may try to split...he is stretching out between two small rocks. I hope he does, and then I will dispose of the "dead" side. Plus, cover my PHs.

Kris

Only thing I can suggest is try not to change bulb spectrums (if its in the sump) and keep and much of water and light products the same. If its trying to heal and your changing things its used to its only going to make things harder on the BTA.

(sad)

I had my first loss today. My beautiful green BTA that I enjoyed for all of three days died. The trauma from the PH was too much and I feel awful that it was my fault. I think I got him out before he started to decompose, but will do a large water change tomorrow just incase. In the meantime, I kicked up the skimmer and am running some carbon.

I think I will avoid anenomes in the future.

Kris