Back in the game: 125 Reef (re)build!

albertareef

1 hour ago, Willapa said:

Hey Sean, what size skim mate locker did you get? The medium has a 4.5" chamber. I'm thinking about picking up one of these and a swabbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Trevor - I measured it and it’s a medium. Just so happened Terry had a used one on hand. Very nice and simple design. 

Hey Trevor - I measured it and it’s a medium. Just so happened Terry had a used one on hand. Very nice and simple design. 

That seems like a good size on a moderately stocked 120 I think. Of course a smaller footprint is nice, but I'd like to get a month or two between cleanings. How long are you thinking until you fill it up?

2 hours ago, Willapa said:

That seems like a good size on a moderately stocked 120 I think. Of course a smaller footprint is nice, but I'd like to get a month or two between cleanings. How long are you thinking until you fill it up?

Hard to say for sure as I am still dialing in the new (for me) skimmer.  I tend to run it fairly dry though so I am thinking a few weeks anyway.

23 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

glad to hear it is on the uptick.

I do have a chunk of TDF for you that bert gave me.. but I have the sinking suspicion that it is red planet. My purple dragon or whatever it is called is also growing like a weed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Way to get back on the horse again, sounds like it is all coming together for you this time around. And if you ever want another frag or two just let me know and I will snap something off for you my friend. Always something that needs trimming. At some point I would love to come by and check the system out when I make a Portland excursion.

And as far as the TDF, I sure hope it isn't a type of "Planet Acro". I got that Fuego from Jeff several years ago in his old shop during one of the deals he ran out of his SPS tank in the back right hand side of the store. My red planet always has a green skin and redish polyps to it but I have noticed under low light the TDF can get a green hue at the base too. Maybe I will frag a piece of each and throw them in the same system just for observation. I believe Cornbred has another variant he calls the Tormenta Del Fuego that I would love to see in person, without spending the massive cost of course.

Thanks guys!  It's hasn't been a perfect reboot but definitely looking better. Had an unexplained alk spike which caused some damage (had been stable for several weeks before that) but I think it's getting there.  You both have been a huge help in trying to stock - much appreciated.  I recall the pieces of TDF I had previously definitely had the green base color FWIW.  I think I had separate pieces from Kim (your TFT auction score Brian) and Holly and they did look subtly different in different parts of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:30 PM, albertareef said:

Hey Taylor,

i have been quite happy with them still. Had good growth and color and have been working non-stop since I put the tank up. Picked them largely due to the form factor and led density. There weren’t a lot of good options to get coverage on a long narrow tank but these worked great. Had one bad display out of the box (didn’t show the correct on/off status for one channel) but got a replacement fairly quickly. Chose to install myself to save time and their support was very responsive and helpful. No problems since. I got my 32" SB Reef Light couple weeks or so ago and I love this light! My corals in this tank have never looked better (switched from two Reefstars) I absolutely love the moonlight, I never thought I'd even use it but the purple is amazing. It's great to hear from others like yourself that's liking them as well 😊 

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2016 at 3:01 PM, albertareef said:

Hi all,

The "new" tank now has water, sand and rock so figured I better try to get caught up with a build thread!

Tank is a Miracles in Glass 125 gallon (6l x 1.5w x 2d) starfire tank (used) with dual internal overflows.

Stand is custom built (by a friend of mine with a little elbow grease by me) of white and burnt oak.

Lighting is a pair of SB reef lights 32 Pro timer units (at 20%white/40% blue in photos).

Circulation is by 4 x-wave DC powerheads on two controllers plus rotating returns.

Sand is a mix, as is the "live" rock - both from several previous tanks.

Separate sump and refugium inside the stand - one drain line directly to sump and the other to refugium which then drains into the sump and shares the return setup... single return pump split to the two rotating devices.

Skimmer currently an Aquamaxx Cone 2.

Aquatronica controller monitoring pH, temp, levels.

Calcium reactor and kalkwasser reactor (fed off ATO setup).  The reactors are currently in the stand but not yet running.

Plans for livestock include a mix of SPS and softies - I have eclectic tastes. As for fish... my wife and I love wrasses so will likely end up with several. Would also like to get a couple small groups of schooling fish this time as the tank dimensions are more amenable - maybe some anthias?  We have had a lot of tangs in the past (scopas, lineatus, kohl) and would consider more (especially a purple). Also had a few reef safe angels and triggers (loved the blue jaw) so perhaps one or two larger fish.  Would love to hear peoples ideas!

In theory, I would love to make this tank as eco-friendly as possible and focus on locally aquacultured corals from other reefers and stores but know that is hard to do practically speaking. I don't have to have super rare specimens but do love a variety of colors and shapes in the tank.  Again, ideas are most welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Here are some previews... I don't have picture hosting right now so limited to uploads.

post-13130-0-62612700-1478285057_thumb.jpg

Pic of stand under construction

post-13130-0-70133300-1478285397_thumb.jpg

Pic of stand with panels in place

post-13130-0-91892300-1478285232_thumb.jpg

Pic of sump etc.

post-13130-0-70767700-1478285502_thumb.jpg

Pic of tank in place

post-13130-0-37529100-1478284906_thumb.jpg

Pic of tank in place with water, sand, rock

post-13130-0-69041500-1479149434_thumb.jpg

First fish - orange lyre tail anthias

post-13130-0-47506200-1479149473_thumb.jpg

First coral - some zoos that were on the starter rock that Spectra very kindly donated to the build - thanks again Scott!

Question regarding your 2 sumps, yesterday I installed a second sump, skimmer etc to another tank , I have 2 tanks running into one sump now but needed a second sump, so I added to the other tank, but run into first sump and second tank runs into new sump as well, how can I control the level in both sumps ? Feel free to message me on FB (Tim Brook) thanks