ID help please

afautheree

I found this guy crawling around on my clam this evening. I immediately extracted it from the tank. Is it a pest? ? If so, what follow up is needed in the tank to prevent bigger problems? Thanks in advance for all help! 06ae356b5b398af7f6f6cd2adec06266.jpgc5420aff2e7ca2484ba02cec361fd631.jpg08a16936373732c3b6407cfa3eab3289.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Definitely has that nudi or flatworm look to it.

What did you use to get the picture? A clip on macro? Surely someone can ID that sucker with such a good shot.

Took it under a scope in my lab with my phone. That's the easiest way to post. I'll try to get a better pic. Deconstruction a flat worn. Just don't know if it's a good guy or a bad guy.

Looks like a flatworm to me. Does it have a red spot on it ? If so those aren't as bad but still can be problematic. Do you have a wrasse in your tank? They are great flatworm eaters.

It is a flatworm. No red spot that I can see. ..it's just orange with black insides. I do have a wrasse in the tank so maybe it will keep the pests in check. This is the first time I've seen one in the tank so I just want to make sure I don't have a bigger problem brewing.

• Like 1

Here are some more pics. ...some with back lighting. None of them great. Thanks for all the input! 20616534adfeec33e37bbdb41e830d5b.jpg5b54c1b51b7684ecf95bec2c209d6a37.jpgb9646c719909707af62772e0b7c03dd9.jpg846e4ee2020b47f13498a4001b296fe5.jpg

Thanks for that word of caution. What kinds of "problems" should I be watching for if they were to get out of hand?

Thanks Kim!  :drinking:

Vayssierea elegans/Vayssierea felis looks to be more of a match now that i've stumbled across it here.

http://www.nudibranch.com.au/pages/8490a.htm

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/vayssiera.shtml

and here.

14616652122_c31578fe9c_b.jpg

Edit:

I still want to snack on him as a Haribo Orange gummy bear though....but then again i still look at certain sps and wonder to myself.. hmmm, i wonder if that tastes as good as it looks?!  :laugh:

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 2

Couldn't sleep and decided to send the Op's pics to Gary Cobb of Nudibranch.com.au and the response time was amazing.  Sent at 2:58am and received at 3:31am  :)

Hi Gary,

Can you please confirm for us this is a Vayssierea elegans/Vayssierea felis or maybe something else?

Thanks for your time!

Link to thread: http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/38763-id-help-please/

Chris

PNWMAS

Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society 

Here is what he had to say.

Hello Chris,

Where was this animal found?? What was its size. I looks like a juvenile. I noticed it was found in an aquarium, probably came in from some rock or plant. I would be important to know where the item came from. Attached are two screenshots from my app series Nudibranch ID, if the animal came from the Western Atlantic it would be Elysia flava, if it came from the Indo Pacific it would be Elysia obtusaThese animals are algae eaters. The Elysia species have rolled rhinophores and a pair of parapodia wings.

Cheers Gary

The pics he sent me look nothing like what you posted but when i added juvenile to the search string i was very surprised.

thumbnail_IMG_0726_zpsz0mogaoz.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0727_zpsaepiznwz.jpg

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 4

Thanks Kim!  :drinking:

Vayssierea elegans/Vayssierea felis looks to be more of a match now that i've stumbled across it here.

http://www.nudibranch.com.au/pages/8490a.htm

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/vayssiera.shtml

and here.

14616652122_c31578fe9c_b.jpg

Edit:

I still want to snack on him as a Haribo Orange gummy bear though....but then again i still look at certain sps and wonder to myself.. hmmm, i wonder if that tastes as good as it looks?!  :laugh:

Wow! Great detective work Chris! Thanks so much! It's nice to know that I don't have a detrimental beast wandering around in my tank. This guy definitely has rolled rhinophores and the parapodial wings. I have no idea where it came from but I would guess it's from the Indo-Pacific making it the Elysia obtusa variety. Thanks again for taking interest and going the extra mile to help out!

Cheers,

Aubrey

• Like 1