MAC Director Discussion on RDO

Piero

trust me' date=' i don't need any trade reform guy to tell me that MAC is a joke.[/quote']

indeed. Nevertheless it's nice to hear a pragmatic response from an LFS employee(if I'm not mistaken)...when most members of the trade would prefer to avoid the subject. Thanks for the honesty.

Personally, I think MAC is a great idea. Even as a FW guy I watched MAC, because of the idea behind it, I often pondered if a FW group would start up something similar. But as with many things in life, it got distracted by money.

Wouldn't it be great to know that if you buy a certain "brand" of fish, that other fish aren't being killed, and the reef aren't being destroyed to collect it. That would be awesome. Personally if such a thing existed I would be willing to pay a premium on my livestock, (fish, corals, etc.)

The theory behind MAC is great. However they succomed to "the root of all evil", and have become a "money pit" for grants and donations.

I actually do outside contract work for LFS's that need help. I have a normal 9-5 job otherwise.

IMO the best way to protect the corals is to have your own diver who you know is following the rules and not using bad methods. The shop i help at from time to time has this relationship with the divers. mac certification is just more inneffective red tape.