Black or clear silicone for new tank?

The ReefBox

So I wanted to get a poll on who prefer clear silicone or blk silicone on their glass tanks.

As many know my tank seam was comprimised a few weeks ago and and the builder has agreed to replace the tank in lieu of fixing. So now I have an opportunity to make changes. I am redesigning the overflows to be an external overflow box to open up the tank and use all the real estate. With the corner overflow boxes as big as they were to house the plumbing it too away from e true depth of he tank and I could not get my 1.5" overflows I wanted and settled for two 1" in each. This added more plumbing, more tuning and Over all was a PITA and cost more. So now I will go back to true bean animal and get the flow I want going back into tank and quiet everything down

The clear silicone seemed to have disco lodes or stuff was able to get under if as I could not clean it even when using a razor or credit card right on the edge.

When I spoke to builder he stated his only concern was the black is not as structurally sound. Has anyone ever heard this?

What would you go with and why?

Black is the only option in my opinion. Funny him saying black isnt as strong I have built a couple tanks and talked to several experinced tank builders and never heard such a thing. Would be curious to know what silicone he is using and look at the specs of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd do clear.

One of my favorite part about acrylic tanks is the clear joints. But I will never own another acrylic tank because of the scratches. It doesn't make sense to put black silicone on an acrylic tank. So why would you put black silicone on a glass tank? I Would not want the joints to stand out in any way. Black silicone to me seems like you're encouraging the joints to stand out. In woodworking as well you want the joints to be seamless and almost invisible.

• Like 2

I'd do clear.

One of my favorite part about acrylic tanks is the clear joints. But I will never own another acrylic tank because of the scratches. It doesn't make sense to put black silicone on an acrylic tank. So why would you put black silicone on a glass tank? I Would not want the joints to stand out in any way. Black silicone to me seems like you're encouraging the joints to stand out. In woodworking as well you want the joints to be seamless and almost invisible.

Def a good point hoeever looking at tanks will blk seams they look pretty nice

Great thing anout this forumn i get to hear what everyone else thinks and what experiences they have had. The good the bad and the ugly

I wish I could find something to support his argument that black silicone is not as strong. It's def not a price issue cause everything I've seen they are the same. He has been building tanks for nearly 30 years so I don't have any reason not to trust what's he's telling me.

The builder of the leaky tank advises against using black being its not as strong....Hmmm what was the question :)

All I heard was "I'm building the tank, I'd not advise black"

What's the warranty on a tank in black that he suggests against, maybe that will help you find your answer.

I don't work with glass but I've never heard of a coloring effect an adhesive/sealant

When's the new tank done?

• Like 1

The builder of the leaky tank advises against using black being its not as strong....Hmmm what was the question :)

All I heard was "I'm building the tank, I'd not advise black"

What's the warranty on a tank in black that he suggests against, maybe that will help you find your answer.

I don't work with glass but I've never heard of a coloring effect an adhesive/sealant

When's the new tank done?

I just think it's weird he tells me now that black is not as strong. When I originally ordered tank, he gave me choice.lol.

The glass was supposed to be ordered today. He said 4-6 weeks for pickup of old tank and delivery of new

That's when you should asked him "so is it less strong than the clear that I chose that leaked or the same"

The whole thing sucks but glad the end game is more positive coast to coast is nice and I remember the corner over flows being a PIA for you, especially when after it was all done it leaked at the bulk head.

Will you be able to get to the rear bulkheads in the overflow very easily?

The tanks going in the same place right

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's when you should asked him "so is it less strong than the clear that I chose that leaked or the same"

The whole thing sucks but glad the end game is more positive coast to coast is nice and I remember the corner over flows being a PIA for you, especially when after it was all done it leaked at the bulk head.

Will you be able to get to the rear bulkheads in the overflow very easily?

The tanks going in the same place right

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Will be much easier as I will move away from the wall. I just spoke to him and explained it like this. 100% clear RTV silicone has Zero additives, where as black has several. The pigments in the black "weaken" a very strong product to begin with. There is no break down as to how much stronger it actually is or really makes a difference but logic leads him to believe this to be true as do the suppliers. So I gotta go with their experience and use clear. And heaven forbid anything else goes wrong, he can't say, " I told you blk was not as strong" he also questions me using 4 mp 40's saying they are continually thumping at the seams. I explained they are in random mode and at 60% max power. Says it all plays a factor but ultimately blames the sub par silicone he used when the normal stuff he used was not available

I just had a mini heart attack...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Daniel I would not stress over this,, Mike is just looking out for the absolute best possible adhesion and strength as I told him I could not go through something like this. So he has put all safety factors into play and recommended this as the best option. Google blk silicone vs clear and I think you will rest at ease

• Like 1

Will be much easier as I will move away from the wall. I just spoke to him and explained it like this. 100% clear RTV silicone has Zero additives, where as black has several. The pigments in the black "weaken" a very strong product to begin with. There is no break down as to how much stronger it actually is or really makes a difference but logic leads him to believe this to be true as do the suppliers. So I gotta go with their experience and use clear. And heaven forbid anything else goes wrong, he can't say, " I told you blk was not as strong" he also questions me using 4 mp 40's saying they are continually thumping at the seams. I explained they are in random mode and at 60% max power. Says it all plays a factor but ultimately blames the sub par silicone he used when the normal stuff he used was not available

Sounds like he is building in excuses to me. But that's coming from someone who has never built a tank. I do run a MP 40 in a 40 gallon tank and it hasn't fallen apart yet.

http://www.elos.eu/diamond/diamond.html

Look down under their silicone description. It is probably proprietary but there are better options out there than black silicone. If I was building a tank I would look up some commercially available black adhesives.

To keep the tank under warranty the builder requires the silicone he uses. Whether it's black or clear is up to me. He just recommends clear and states it is much stronger based on zero pigmentation or additives to the silicone.

Gotta go with clear, don't want the tank seams all look framed in. Ultimately gotta trust the builder who has agreed to replace the old tank and allow me to make changes. I was never unhappy with the tank I just did not

Ike the corner overflows and how difficult they were to adjust not to mention the plumbing was rediculous and tight. Clear looked good then and will now

Gotta go with clear, don't want the tank seams all look framed in. Ultimately gotta trust the builder who has agreed to replace the old tank and allow me to make changes. I was never unhappy with the tank I just did not

Ike the corner overflows and how difficult they were to adjust not to mention the plumbing was rediculous and tight. Clear looked good then and will now

No you don't :tongue:

Its ok have to give you crap ;) I just have never been a fan of clear for some reason (reminds me of a Petco tank). I know my Elos had black and also the Cad tank. Seems like most custom tanks have black. Even the IM Fusion ones are black silicone.