Refugium

Avsdragon

I like the idea of the 4" pvc pipe as I am getting ready to start cultivating my 75g tank so i can get some mandarins. I do have a question about my tank set up. Especially the bottom tank I call it a sump not sure if that is correct or would it be considered a refugium. (My set up is the tank then water exits the tank down to a small box like tank(sump) with a filter pad the water runs thru, then it trickles down like a stair way into the reservoir below then I have 2 Ecobio stones in front of the water pump that puts the water back into the tank, and a protein skimmer on the outside of the tank) My question is should I remove the filter pad and the bio stones and just add the copeopod, or just do the pvc pipe. If i am correct i will need to turn off the protein skimmer for about 24 hours? Please advise Do I need the filter pad and or the bio stones? I have no water issues as it stands. I have 80lbs of sand on the bottom giving me about inch on the bottom. Please advice.

To start off, sump vs refugium is kind of a grey area. Sump is usually a container of water that your tank overflows into, while a refugium is just a place that tends to have macro-algae and a light. Sometimes refugiums are in sumps, sometimes they are completely separate.

I think it is personal preference whether you keep the biostones in there. I don't have any. I recently set one up in my sump and I just removed the filter sock from the overflow and let the copepods do their thing. It took about 2-3 weeks before I could spot a consistent amount of copepods down there. Also, I never shut my protein skimmer off because it is after the refugium zone.

Pictures would greatly help. Maybe send us a picture of what you are working with and we can give you some advice.

• Like 1

I saw that thread about the PVC pipe with holes as a refuge for copepods in a display tank and thought it sounded like a nice solution for those without a refugium as a source.  As Miles points out, there are lots of variations on the refugium theme (both in sump and separate) - some even set up theirs as a separate display.  I don't think the filter pad or biostones would affect the pod issue one way or the other (although there are other arguments to be made on that front) although the issue of where the pods are vs. the intake for the skimmer might. I spent some time configuring my new setup to allow for a refugium return "downstream" from the skimmer feed just to enhance the likelihood that live pods would make it to the tank but my previous setup (refugium in sump) didn't actually allow for that.  It sounds like your skimmer might be fed from the main tank directly?  If true, it probably doesn't matter where you actually put the PVC (tank or sump) although you would still be running them through the return pump if the latter.  As for the 24 hours... this is a little unclear since I think the idea you are shooting for would be to have a continuous supply of self reproducing pods either in the PVC or the refugium (assuming you set one up) as opposed to adding a dose at a particular time as a feeding supplement.  Perhaps I am misreading that.  Anyway, as Miles notes, pictures can help a lot.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I saw that thread about the PVC pipe with holes as a refuge for copepods in a display tank and thought it sounded like a nice solution for those without a refugium as a source.  As Miles points out, there are lots of variations on the refugium theme (both in sump and separate) - some even set up theirs as a separate display.  I don't think the filter pad or biostones would affect the pod issue one way or the other (although there are other arguments to be made on that front) although the issue of where the pods are vs. the intake for the skimmer might. I spent some time configuring my new setup to allow for a refugium return "downstream" from the skimmer feed just to enhance the likelihood that live pods would make it to the tank but my previous setup (refugium in sump) didn't actually allow for that.  It sounds like your skimmer might be fed from the main tank directly?  If true, it probably doesn't matter where you actually put the PVC (tank or sump) although you would still be running them through the return pump if the latter.  As for the 24 hours... this is a little unclear since I think the idea you are shooting for would be to have a continuous supply of self reproducing pods either in the PVC or the refugium (assuming you set one up) as opposed to adding a dose at a particular time as a feeding supplement.  Perhaps I am misreading that.  Anyway, as Miles notes, pictures can help a lot.

Good luck!

The 24 hour issue I read it about adding the copeopods straight into the tank. Was not sure if the skimmer or the filters in the sump would destroy or make the cultivation impossible or harder. I will get pictures added but the information you and miles have posted have helped me a lot in my research and design of turning my sump into a sump/ref. I am going to move my hob skimmer to my sump when I set up the baffles and allow my sump to be a reforgium as well. Thank you guys again