What are the rarer star polyps?

milesmiles902

Hey everyone,

Maybe this is an oxymoron, but is there rare star polyps? I know a lot of people don't care for green star polyps, but it is kind of funny to think about the rare star polyps. Are there any and do you have pictures?

Maybe one day star polyps will be the fad. :rolleyes:

I've got a rock in one of my display tanks that has green star polyps and then a different color (the one above the gsp) that seems to be less common. I think Robert called them "Fade to Blue" star polyps.

IMG_2896_zpsx1tq64fu.jpg

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

Yeah, even those blue ones you don't see as often. Maybe because they are slower growing?

For how fast star polyps grow, it makes me believe there are great diversity of them in the wild. They can grow quick enough and are hardy enough to mutate and create other morphs in a reasonable time. Kind of like xooanthids.

Although there are several varieties of "star polyps" out there I would have to say that the least commonly seen and maybe the most odd is the Briareum branching variety wich is actually a close cousin to the more commonly seen "Electric or Neon" Green Star Polyps.

• Like 1

The blue start polyps are sweet! Traded some corals with Andy (Lex) earlier and he gave me a piece of the blue :) It's a very bright Teal/baby blue color and I can't wait for it to grow into a nice patch for the display :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I really like most varieties of GSP when it is isolated  =)

I completely agree. Any star polyp really are a beauty if on an isolate rock. I think they just get a bad rap from being invasive. I would love to see a single rock with red, blue and green on it. Maybe with different eyes.

Does anyone have star polyps with other colored eyes besides white? Or even the branching ones. I have never seen them before.

Gold star polyps or gold Cloves

Also Kelidascope or all orange cloves are the rarest and hardest to maintain.. Sometimes they can grow a ton, but unlike other polyps these just grow in a line. They also can melt if harmed, harder to keep than GSP