Another new football year so.....

Michael7979

Yah i read a voter in Tenn left the Ducks off his ballot last week on accident. All the copying and pasting with so many teams losing. Maybe it happened a couple times? Ducks are one of the few teams that have lost to a team ranked higher.

Beavs got back on track, for 2 quarters at least. Back to .500

AP or associated press poll = a poll done by sports writers

USA TODAY/coaches poll = poll taken among coaches

BCS = Bowl Championship Series = a series of computer programs that decide the order of teams based on ranking in the other two polls, strength of schedule (the teams you beat and who they beat), margin of victory, and a few other confusing factors. Basically its the NCAA solution to matching up the two best teams for a championship game without having a playoff like division II has. Not really a perfect system but it gets pretty close to the best matchups.

BCS = Bowl Championship Series.

To derive a team's poll percentages in the Harris Interactive and the USA Today polls, each team's point total is divided by a maximum 2825 possible points in the Harris Interactive Poll and 1525 possible points in the USA Today poll.

Six computer rankings calculated in inverse points order (25 for #1, 24 for #2, etc.) are used to determine the overall computer component. The best and worst ranking for each team is dropped, and the remaining four are added and divided by 100 (the maximum possible points) to produce a Computer Rankings Percentage. The six computer ranking providers are Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, Jeff Sagarin, and Peter Wolfe. Each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula.

The BCS Average is calculated by averaging the percent totals of the Harris Interactive and USA Today polls, and computer rankings.

HARRIS POLL - The Harris Interactive College Football Poll is a weekly ranking of the top 25 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision college football teams. The rankings are compiled by Harris Interactive, a market research company that specializes in Internet research.

The poll was created in the summer of 2005 to replace the AP Poll which decided it no longer wanted to be a part of the formula used by the BCS rankings to determine who plays in the BCS National Championship Game.[1] Unlike the other two seasonal polls, the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll, the Harris Poll does not release a preseason poll; in fact, it does not come out until the the last half of September, several weeks into the season.

The Harris Interactive Poll is comprised of former players, coaches, administrators, and current and former media who submit votes for the top 25 teams each week. The panel has been designed to be a statistically valid representation of all 11 FBS Conferences and independent institutions.

COACHES POLL - The USA Today Coaches Poll is the current name for a weekly ranking of the top 25 NCAA Division I-A college football and Division I college basketball teams.

The football rankings are compiled by the USA Today Board of Coaches which is made up of 63 head coaches at Division I-A institutions.[1] All coaches are members of the American Football Coaches Association. The basketball rankings are compiled by the USA Today Board of Coaches which is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions.[2] All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches ("NABC").

The football Coaches Poll is an element of the BCS rankings, a voting system used to determine who will play in the BCS National Championship Game and be crowned the NCAA Division I-A national champion.

AP POLL - The Associated Press (AP) Poll typically refers to a weekly ranking of the top 25 NCAA Division I college football and Division I college basketball teams, though other AP polls exist as well. The rankings are compiled by polling sportswriters across the nation. Each voter provides his own ranking of the top 25 teams, and the individual rankings are then combined to produce the national ranking by giving a team 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for a second place vote, and so on down to 1 point for a twenty-fifth place vote. Ballots of the voting members in the AP Poll are made public.

Thanks so much!

One more thing. How is it when a non ranked team plays a really good team beats them, they don't move up in the polls? For example when Oregon State beat Cal. I would have thought it would put Oregon state at least in the top 25. I would have thought that Arizona State since they are undefeated would have been ranked higher.

It also depends on past games and the strength of those wins/losses. OSU got blown away in their 2 losses to unranked teams. Those 2 losses are bad in the eyes of some voters. But its better to lose early in the season than late. So they could sneak into the top 25 after a few more wins. But the reality is that probably won't happen. The best the Beavs can do is get bowl eligible (6 wins) and get the best bowl they can.

ASU is undefeated, but they haven't played anyone yet. The teams they've beaten are a combined 19-27. So going undefeated against lessor teams isn't looked at as highly.

cal went to #10 basically because they were kind of "still proving thier worth" as far as being that highly ranked and fighting for a shot at a national championship. when someone like USC or LSU or Florida loses a close game they dont drop as far because its kind of considered a fluke and not a sign of what kind of team they really are. not always fair but such is life in college football.

If you are looking at it that way, Colt Brennan has even less talent around him and better numbers. Plus he only plays like the first half.

You could have even written in Paul Smith of Tulsa, who has probably the least talent around him of the top 10 QBs in the nation but sits 4th in total offense, 7th in efficiency, and is above Daniels in almost every catagory.