Giant Green Acro

Check out this wild piece that I picked up from Garrett at TPA about 6 months ago. It has a really unique growth form. The middle branch is at least 2 inches wide. Since I put it under my LEDs at about 350 PAR it has turned into a bright green like a green slimer, and is now probably the brightest Acropora in this tank.

I think they should call it the "Giant Slimer" or "Goliath Slimer" or something like that. Has anyone else seen a green acro with branches this thick?

6a942ecd-e84a-4656-ac84-0df0b3f0b223_zps

• Like 5

Whoa that thing is crazy! It should be called be Incredible Hulk slimer! It started out as a mild mannered run of the mill green slimer but then it got really angry!!

Ha ha! That is a better name for it. Here's the Hulk flexing his polyps this morning:

IMG_5618_zpsw7vxhqdp.jpg

• Like 2

Today the guys at TPA informed me that there already is an acro called "The Hulk." They had one in the shop, and I thought it looked puny in comparison, but I guess it came first. And, being a biologist, I must recognize the principle of priority in taxonomy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_Priority

So, maybe "Giant Slimer" is a better handle for this bad boy. :D