Quick Frag Question

kriswaters

Xenia does not glue well. It slimes too much. Wedge it in between two rocks and it will decide to attach to one or both.

Zoas should glue fine.

Like badgutarist said, gel type works better, but I used regular superglue before.

Water accelerates the setting of the glue (it does not "dry" it sets with a chemical reaction). So once the frag is in place, dip it in water to speed it up. Just be sure to hold it in place until it is set so it does not wiggle.

I found dollartree has 3-packs of SG gel for.... I think it was a dollar. (but I could be wrong :))

I like the smaller tubes of glue better than the large bottles found at the LFS. The tips clog too easy.

dsoz :)

you dont need to be shy with how much gliue you use. Just know that wherever the glue touches the coral will burn and kill that spot.

If just gluing a small frag i will usually set it in the glob of glue and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes. Until you get a better feel for how to do it this will ensure ti stays put.

Jurassic gel by paleo bond is by far the sweetest glue I have used. thicker and stronger than anything else ive seen but whatever you use, just make sure it is gel.

Xenia glues fine, just like mushrooms do. You just need to really wipe all the slime off with q-tips so you get the glue to burn and stick into the flesh, and not slime. After gluing mushrooms/rics I will leave them on the counter for 20 minutes. It holds well every time. Its kinda brutal and you need to really wipe the slime off, but it works

happy fragging

Thanks again folks...The two tree branch frags and the zoas went on with out a hitch. All four are extended and opening up nicely. The sun coral had its own rock, and even now with the lights on, several are open about half way.

The xenia...well obviously they didn't glue. I stuffed them into a few cracks and will wait and see. They are pretty limp, but they are opening up here and there. I will cross my fingers.

Kris

Guest Mbeef61
Xenia does not glue well. It slimes too much. Wedge it in between two rocks and it will decide to attach to one or both.

Zoas should glue fine.

Like badgutarist said, gel type works better, but I used regular superglue before.

Water accelerates the setting of the glue (it does not "dry" it sets with a chemical reaction). So once the frag is in place, dip it in water to speed it up. Just be sure to hold it in place until it is set so it does not wiggle.

I found dollartree has 3-packs of SG gel for.... I think it was a dollar. (but I could be wrong :))

I like the smaller tubes of glue better than the large bottles found at the LFS. The tips clog too easy.

exactly what i was gonna say

Well, the stuffing in the crack method did not work for the xenia. Poor little guys...I feel awful! I finally skewered them with a toothpick and rubber banded them to a rock! I hope this works as I am sure they are STESSED OUT!!! All the others are looking fab.

Kris

im tellin ya try the q-tip, glue, leave on the counter for 15-20 mintues thing with shrooms, xenia and similar. Dont be shy with the q-tips. It will take 4 or 5 q-tips per glue job. Rub it all off.

I actually glued a bucnh of rics I got in the mail today, and i assure you that rics and shrooms slime worse and are harder to glue successfully than xenia. Your fingers dont smell nearly as bad though afterwards.

to be sure..im not telling you to torture them any more....the skewer thing should work...but for next time......

DSC_4665.jpg

DSC_4686cropped.jpg

I seems weird to me...perhaps they (corals) are not like fish, and do fine out of water for that long of a time frame. As for the smelly fingers...he he he. Nothing a few hand washings didn't take care of! Anyhow...they (xenia) are secure now and I no longer have to mess with them. I attached them to small rocks, so they will easily be moved when more rock is added.

Once again, thanks for everything.

Kris

Well, those slimy little xenia are proving to be a few tough cookies. All three were found face down in the sand today when I got home. I moved them to a small bowl of tank water and clipped them where the stalk extruded from the now worthless base. I then put some plastic mesh over top and rubber banded that to or under the rock. I don't know how to tell if they die...I assume they will "melt". Two are waving their tenticles, but not really opening and closing. I will check on their progress frequently, as I do not want to pollute my tank with these little guys.

Any other advice would be great.

Kris

PS, the other corals are doing great. I found two small pods of orange and brown zoas today!

looks good. Sorry you had to resort to the mesh. I usually have success with wedging them in a low flow area.

I have a soapdish that looks like a basket from wal-mart that has suction cups on it that I hang from the back of the tank. I usually keep frags in it because there is lower flow. That way the frags can attach to rubble that is in the basket.

THat zoa is a cool color. I hope that it grows fast for you so that you can trade.

Good luck with the sun coral. I don't have enough patience to make sure that each head gets food. I like to feed my corals, but those things are a little extreme for me.

dsoz

Once you have them attached, you will never be able to get rid of it! It is ok with me having it in my tank. I like the way it pulses. Kinda hypnotic. I have fallen asleep many times to the pulsing of my xenia. :)

good job with the attaching. Now you have the basic skills to frag many things. Keep at it!