Reef Spotlight-Upscales

Emerald525

The BOD and officers have had discussions about doing more for our sponsors and showing some appreciation for all that they do. Also it's just nice getting to know them a little better.  It is my pleasure to introduce the first sponsor in the spotlight. Travis from Upscales.  :applause:

Travis and Upscales Fish and Reptiles has been a sponsor from the beginning so it is only fitting that they were picked (randomly I may add) to go first!

Reef Spotlight: Upscales Fish and Reptiles

upscales1_zpsxojwn4yz.jpg

upscales2_zpsbgzbqudi.jpg

Store information:

Owner: Travis

19295 SW Martinazzi Square

Tualitin, OR 97062

503-691-6253

Monday through Friday 10am to 7pm

Saturday and Sunday 10am to 5pm

email upscales93@aol.com

How long have you been in the hobby?

I have always been into fish since as far back as i remember, I always had fresh water tanks as a kid. I got the saltwater bug when i was about fourteen. My best friend and I both set up saltwater tanks. They were pieced together with mostly freshwater equipment (hang on back filters, canisters) but they worked. We would get his older brother to drive us around to the few stores that were around at the time: Simply Saltwater, Hollywood, and Gateway Bob's. We learned a lot from trial and error. I started my first reef when I was about sixteen. It was a 35g hex and I stuffed as many lights in the hood as possible. It had a hang on skimmer and some powerheads for flow. The tank did surprisingly well.  Remember this was in 1988 when not a lot of people were reefing and most corals were considered impossible to keep in captivity.
I continued advancing in the hobby and absorbing all the information I could find on the hobby.

What got you interested in getting into the business?

In 1993 I decided it was time for me to open my own store. Upscales was born. At first we had freshwater/saltwater and reptiles. As time went by,  everything shifted more to the salt side. Now we are 95% salt/reef. There is still a small reptile section. It's crazy to think that I have been in business for twenty two years, makes me feel old. A lot has changed in that time. This is an ever changing hobby, and I try to stay on top of where the  hobby is going, carrying the latest equipment and the newest hot corals and fish. I think we carry a little bit of something for everyone; everything from basic polyps/mushroom up to high end Aussie corals and clams.
I do really enjoy having this business. There are times it makes me a little crazy, but it has been good to me over the years, I have met a ton of great people over the years and look forward to many more years to come.

What other interests do you have outside of reefing?

In my off time I like to spend time with my family, I have been married for nineteen years, we have three kids to keep me busy; a thirteen year old boy, a ten year old boy, and a six year old girl.
My favorite hobby outside the shop is fishing. If I have a free day and the rivers are in shape, I will be out chasing steelhead and salmon, I try to get out and fish as much as I can.
Thanks to all of you that have supported us over the years,i hope to be able to this for many more years to come, a business isn't a business without great customers!
Thanks,
Travis

Thanks Travis for all your support and expertise over the years!

• Like 4

I can honestly say that I would probably not be in the hobby if I hadn't gone to upscales with a friend who was setting up a saltwater tank. I can still remember it was 15 years ago and I new nothing about keeping an aquarium of any type. Upon entering and seeing the reef tank pictured in the above post I knew that some day I wanted to have a saltwater reef tank. Well life happens and it took over a decade but I finally started my first tank 3 years ago and have loved every minute of it. So for me upscales was literally my insperation to get into the hobby and put forth a lot of the effort I do on my tanks everyday. Anyways just thought I would share my experince with the shop and I encourage everyone to visit, check it out and bring a friend you never know the impact it might have.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I recall when Upscales first opened. The store has been going strong for many years now!

Travis and Thomas have also been good friends. They have been very encouraging to me when I had to put the hobby on the back burner for a couple of years. Visits to the store kept my interest going, and now I am back into reefkeeping full swing! Thanks guys!