Sad News

rkimple

I came back from the four day Thanksgiving weekend to find the entire tank dead.  Apparently on Thursday or Friday one of the pumps had a short circuit and the whole system shut down.  By Monday morning everything inside was dead. When I tried to turn things back on, I got a big cloud of acrid smoke. I hastily shut it all down again.

Today I am going to sifen? siphon? SUCK out all the stinky water.  Should I save the rocks and sand or throw them out too?

My administrator and I agree that it would be for the best if we do NOT try to start the whole process up again so if someone could come out and get the tank and all the equipment we would appreciate it.

Thank you

Becky

• Sad 1

Sounds like a pump electrical fritz under the water, I have had a tank crash for the exact same reason. As much as I would like to assist I cannot donate time to help in person but I can donate some starter corals, macro algae, and maybe a few hermits to a re-launch. Maybe some one here has a pump laying around collecting dust, was it a return pump?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've  been out of the loop for a while, and am now working at a high school similar to Pioneer in population and needs. We have a safe space for this tank if it is not in use, or if another system built similarly is available. Needs would be similar to those at Pioneer-a sturdy lockable stand and hood, acrylic tank. I can supply corals and care for the system. I have not formally gotten approval for it yet, am just seeing what the possibilities are at this point. Could someone get back to me at my school email address and let me know what I need to do to get my proposal off the ground formally and if this is possible? 

Thanks,

Kate Breimayer

kbreimay@mesd.k12.or.us

41 minutes ago, Electrokate said:

I've  been out of the loop for a while, and am now working at a high school similar to Pioneer in population and needs. We have a safe space for this tank if it is not in use, or if another system built similarly is available. Needs would be similar to those at Pioneer-a sturdy lockable stand and hood, acrylic tank. I can supply corals and care for the system. I have not formally gotten approval for it yet, am just seeing what the possibilities are at this point. Could someone get back to me at my school email address and let me know what I need to do to get my proposal off the ground formally and if this is possible? 

Thanks,

Kate Breimayer

kbreimay@mesd.k12.or.us

Hi Kate,

Glad to hear that your school might be interested in the tanks for teachers program.  The best bet would be to include @kknight, our TFT coordinator and @Emerald525 our president in the loop to make sure you get to the right folk.  If I am not mistaken, we may have an unclaimed tank at this point.  Also, we will be having an event next month, the first NW Frag Festival (www.nwfragfest.com) that is intended to support the tanks for teachers program and has a fantastic guest speaker - you might be interested or might care to send someone from your group just as an introduction.

Hopefully you get the info you need but feel free to contact the officers or board members directly if you need anything.

1 hour ago, Electrokate said:

Thanks,

Kate Breimayer

kbreimay@mesd.k12.or.us

This tank is actually at the Boys and Girls club but we have a 20 nuvo that is ready to go. Send a pm to Karen aka Kknight . I believe she still has it in storage.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:39 PM, Emerald525 said:

This tank is actually at the Boys and Girls club but we have a 20 nuvo that is ready to go. Send a pm to Karen aka Kknight . I believe she still has it in storage.

The nuvo is glass though........I thought Kate wanted acrylic ? Glass may be an issue at a school.

Time is not there right now but in a month or so I could maybe do a stand.

12 minutes ago, spectra said:

The nuvo is glass though........I thought Kate wanted acrylic ? Glass may be an issue at a school.

Time is not there right now but in a month or so I could maybe do a stand.

She said that but Pioneer was a glass tank. It would just need to have some sort of cover over the top or canopy so that there is not easy access to impulsive hands. I imagine like at Pioneer the kids are supervised pretty closely but on occasion a child would move quickly and pull the power head off but they didn't have easy access to the inside of the tank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

She said that but Pioneer was a glass tank. It would just need to have some sort of cover over the top or canopy so that there is not easy access to impulsive hands. I imagine like at Pioneer the kids are supervised pretty closely but on occasion a child would move quickly and pull the power head off but they didn't have easy access to the inside of the tank.

Well if the nuvo works let me know. I can do something for a stand. Hell may even be able to make a canopy if need be. But wont be really quick.........

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

You have always been such a great supporter of this program. I will certainly let you know. 

I try and well wouldn't say a great one...........I just try to do my best ;) 

May even have a few things to go in the tank when and if it happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, wantanewtank said:

I am interested in helping start and maintain a tank in Vancouver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Details? Where are you looking to start one ? I may be able to help out also as I don't have any issues with putting a tank in a classroom if they want one. 

• Like 1