Great article about fragging and Mattv is famous!

Emerald525

Wanted to post this here because there is good info about fragging!

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/25/fragging-phenomenon-part-deux/

But also check out about fourth photo down the sweet acro with MattV's name on it! :clap: 

Very nice acro Matt! and quite the honor having corals with your name on it listed in national publications! :kneel:

Awesome article, wow!  Thanks for posting.

MattV, that is awesome, congrats!

I found this statement quite interesting:

In one of his experiments, and I am paraphrasing, he compared the mortality rates of sps coral fragments of greater than 1 inch with those of less than one inch. What he found was that the smaller fragments had a mortality rate almost 6 times greater than the larger frags after only 20 days. However, this difference could be negated if both the fragmenting and the mounting took place completely underwater. That is when neither the frag nor the mother colony was ever exposed to air the survival rates of nearly all of the fragments was close to 100 percent.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/25/fragging-phenomenon-part-deux/#ixzz3h7lKNRnO

The quote was good information, I think it was in Coral magazine 4 or 5 years ago. Bigger frags are good and fragging under water instead of air is better, simple enough. It is nice to get a number of frag related tid bits of information consolidated to an article.

It inspires Frag Madness!

Congratulations though to Matt, that is one fine looking acro to add to the list.

• Like 2

I have noticed this myself Jeremy. I believe that is how Bret and adam frag their zoas as well underwater! 

Sometimes that is not possible but worth trying to if you can!

Ah, good to know.

I do for with the wild-ish palys, they can have a good deal of the palytoxin according to Rudy.  He told me 'frag them underwater' so they don't spray on you.  He has survived some exposure several times LOL.  What doesn't kill us... makes us better fraggers...

• Like 1

I wonder if that was why he texted me the link (his name) ??

I opened the link on my phone and saw the jacked up blue photos and never read it :) now I guess I'll have to.

I meant to look at it later from something other than my phone and forgot

Congrats MattV

What you don't like the Facebook sellers who only post pictures of specific high dollar corals under blue leds because "that's how it looks the best" lol

I wonder if that was why he texted me the link (his name) ??

I opened the link on my phone and saw the jacked up blue photos and never read it :) now I guess I'll have to.

I meant to look at it later from something other than my phone and forgot

Congrats MattV

You're a good friend Brad... :nutty:​   If you actually had cared at the very bottom was a secret message that MattV has been kidnapped for his awesome frags and he was asking for help :dejection:

(disclaimer: For those of you who read things literally Matt V has not been kidnapped but Brad still sucks as a friend! :D )

(disclaimer to the disclaimer totally kidding about Brad :blush:  maybe)

• Like 1

You're a good friend Brad... :nutty:​   If you actually had cared at the very bottom was a secret message that MattV has been kidnapped for his awesome frags and he was asking for help :dejection:

(disclaimer: For those of you who read things literally Matt V has not been kidnapped but Brad still sucks as a friend! :D )

(disclaimer to the disclaimer totally kidding about Brad :blush:  maybe)

Brad is a good friend, but he will never share his OBT, but he will give it to someone that will appreciate
  • Like 1