Paratore's Frag Tank Build

Paratore

• 4 weeks later...

Well I went to Cali for spring break and well...you know....I bought some corals and brought them home naturally. Here are the spoils of Cali I got :)

Rastas and Scrambled Eggs zoas7f5368dc0ec6de72c1f3ae7af8256919.jpg

And this killer Orange Octospawn for my new Euphyllia tank :) It's orange/gold with the odd purple tentacle here and there. Never seen one before and I love it! d64047972f6f272ce40faef7cc0986a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also just order a new LED layout board from SB reef lights so we will see how that performs when it gets here. Need to replace the LEDs in my old reef star. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get my hands on it!

• Like 1

Well the SB reef light is still not hear. But I'm the mean time, broke out the GoPro and took sum underwater videos and pictures of the zoas in the blue lighting. Don't mind the algae, it stays mostly on the acrylic walls and PVC so I'm ok with that. All the SPS and zoas look happy and it's not my display so like a wise man once said "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

https://vimeo.com/161374287https://vimeo.com/1613743266c6de036208979b7d86e525375ac482f.jpg923c2657ef72a45b83ddc23717b96dbd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well yesterday I finally received my SB ReefLights PCB board replacement :)

So I took some photos of the process so those who are interested could see what it looks like. I believe it was $70 from SB ReefLights.

The packaging was very well, the PCB board was wrapped in foam tightly to keep things from moving and kept the board safe. 6f53acf6fc503cbff89e08d02c6a3d63.jpg3937932d93b791f6dfb8244bdc324409.jpg4c5d718d65026a4d987b4e85c309adfa.jpg

The overal construction of the light was very good and it seemed light a high quality build! I also appreciated how the lenses "snapped" onto the diodes so they didn't fall off very easy. 70cd1b60f53d97e7695098da425fd11c.jpg

Now here is the old ReefStar LED that I will be replacing. Very similar to a D120 in build. b38d3849a28f928742b8e1ad08e40d09.jpg

Now take it apart...

9a3edc79b491089476319401b606d3d7.jpg

Unplug the old heat sink... And place in the new SB PCB board..oh no it's too big...

93fa4c66133cef4c20f5a97a25246bad.jpg

Well take a grinder to it and grind out the face until all the LEDs show. Then cut a new piece of acrylic to act as a splash guard. df1326e72d386da87a64b2be159ef731.jpg

Now put it all back together, plug it in and boom we have light! e4a1604c61ba1336c135b030ad8f69f5.jpg

Overall I was very impressed with the PCB board for being only $70. Now the time test begins to see how the corals like it. I'll keep you everyone updated! :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some new Goodies today :) two Jawbreakers and a Yellow Branching Hammer! Thanks Jorge!!

Not the best pics but I took them as I was walking out the door :) first one is a little over saturated from the blues but shows the red and orange mix. I'll take more pictures soon :)360591e24b78a55828040819415f80f1.jpge650addbc3ba10a1b659afe5f310b4f6.jpg

And my new favorite Euphyllia! (Borrowing Jorge's pictures) it wasn't open when I left :) it looks dull in this picture, but don't be fooled it's a super bright yellow. 1a7b38636d56220e5899dea5afd46d43.jpg

• Like 3

I'm going to break out the nice camera in a few weeks and try to get some pictures. The yellow is crazy bright! I'm so glad I got it, thanks again! :)

If you download Adobe Light Room it is pretty easy to get the exact color of the coral!

Dang Man! Your Dad did snag those shrooms!? He has some good, and expensive, taste in corals...Glad they went local.

Tank is looking good my friend.

I had a question, what did you use to grind out the trim of the old reefstar housing to allow the new LED panel to shine through? I have noticed some slight variation in a few of the LED housings out there. And is the unit what you had expected? I really want to try one out.

Dang Man! Your Dad did snag those shrooms!? He has some good, and expensive, taste in corals...Glad they went local.

Tank is looking good my friend.

I had a question, what did you use to grind out the trim of the old reefstar housing to allow the new LED panel to shine through? I have noticed some slight variation in a few of the LED housings out there. And is the unit what you had expected? I really want to try one out.

Yeah my dad loves his shrooms lol! These ones are so small compared to his momma shroom. I'm not a mushroom guy myself but I have to admit, these guys are crazy bright!

To widen the face of the LED housing I us mused a hand held grinder with about 80 grit. Went through about 4 disks before I was finished and it took about and hour. I imagine there is a much more efficient way to do that though (maybe some kind of saw).

So far I like the unit. Only had it for a few weeks so I can't tell you how well it grows stuff but I am keeping all of my shrooms, Euphyllia, and had anemones under it and they all seem to do well :) I feel like it could be brighter but that may be due to some wiring i did to override the timer(was broken but suck on a strange schedule)or a power supply going out. Personally for $70 I say you can't beat it. I'm picking up two more black boxes from Matteo and plan to replace at least one of them with another SB reef light PCB board. I'll also throw some SPS under the light and let you guys know how it does :)

Did that answer all your questions Robert?

• Like 1