Hatfield Marine Science Center and Aquarium Science Building Tours!

For those who missed it it was a lovely day at the coast, not too hot nor too cold, with just the right amount of breeze going on. Surprisingly not much traffic when we had arrived so it was a smooth ride there and back.

WP_20150627_002_zpsvmjlzgva.jpg

Holly came through Corvallis and picked up my son and I, Thank You Holy, Your Awesome. Had a great geek out session during the whole drive and that makes the long drive so much more enjoyable. Thanks for the good company.

WP_20150627_004_zpsyk4uowqv.jpg

There was a pretty good turnout to this event, well over 20 people were there to get an education about marine education. As we gathered in the lobby for the official tour we were able to roam around and check out the interesting exhibits including amazing skeletons\exoskeletons, tidepools, and many other hands on activities.

WP_20150627_044_zpsxuiuvfux.jpg

WP_20150627_047_zpsp1l4sdny.jpg

WP_20150627_033_zpsgkytfzlf.jpg

WP_20150627_051_zpse0ksv31n.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a good shot of some of the gang who made it, was nice to get some people to take a group shot.

The PNWMAS Club in Full effect.

IMGP9830_zpsk3uqjyli.jpg

Cid was an incredible host showing us room after room of marine related facilities from this Kressil tank to livestock holing rooms and food prep stations.

Thanks Cid.

IMGP9865_zpsqbepu2vf.jpg

Tim Miller was also there to answer any question you could throw at him, great guy that was very approachable and knowledgeable beyond most people whom I have met. It was a great chance to really discuss some fine details of their system and work.

IMGP9853_zps54ezommb.jpg

These two certainly have much to be proud of at this facility, so much time work and care in these rooms.

IMGP9870_zpsfsn4egol.jpg

WP_20150627_041_zpsxwnbajei.jpg

No Cid, You Da Man!

• Like 1

WP_20150627_053_zpsedneyku7.jpg

You know it is not a party unless the J-Man is there, and he was there before anyone meeting and greeting. What a fine,kind, and caring President we have. Thanks for doing so much foot work J-Man. We all appreciate it.

WP_20150627_066_zpsauahiurl.jpg

Here we got to check out a few of the many free flow salt water systems where they are pumping constant fresh salt water through the systems from the ocean.

WP_20150627_067_zpsa8ebygwy.jpg

Look at this huge cuc.

WP_20150627_068_zpswg6nz8fi.jpg

A huge number of other critters and fish were housed in these naks as well, shrimps, stars, anemones, you name it.

• Like 1

Pay attention, there is alot of ground to cover guys.

WP_20150627_083_zpsysafv9m5.jpg

Hamstern and Dr Tim listening to Cid.

WP_20150627_097_zpsi4jdqlgt.jpg

Propagation systems.

WP_20150627_098_zpsaelkmyof.jpg

And the reef tanks were running all on LEDs...Go figure.

WP_20150627_101_zpsnkvkt50f.jpg

There are new setups in the process of being put together and established while we were there, can't wait to see whats going on next year.

• Like 1

We had free roam of rooms at certain points to really get up close and examine the livestock and the equipment.

IMGP9770_zpsuk2yqso2.jpg

What a treat.

IMGP9745_zpsxc3buxen.jpg

Here are a few familiar face that attended... Catfish and his Wife, good seeing you man, thanks for bringing me those posters. They will certainly have a good home here at my house.

WP_20150627_030_zpsmcm9w0ul.jpg

Fishoutawater, glad you could make the long trip, you have always been pretty pleasant company at the other meets and this one was no exception. Thanks for bringing the extra fixings to the BBQ too, I had a hankering for some chips and salsa. Ole!

WP_20150627_028_zpstbrqeasr.jpg

Eclipse!!! You left that really cool beach rock at the picknick table. My son grabbed it and it is in safe keeping until we meet next. Thanks for the killer cupcakes, it was gone before we left the coast...YUM.

WP_20150627_024_zpsaj0s0sz4.jpg

Holy, J-Man, you two already got told your awesome so I will leave it at that.

IMGP9909_zpszx1uj3du.jpg

Tim and I chatting about fish disease and protocol.

IMGP9914_zpsix9bvqos.jpg

Lets all gather round the new shark tank and tell fish stories, everyone's doing it.

IMGP9890_zpsnbdizhk5.jpg

You know I am getting all sorts of ideas here about getting a tank large enough so I cans swim with my corals and fish.

WP_20150627_103_zpsdqcr0zj7.jpg

Now I just need to start saving up for all the equipment.

• Like 1

A few other people asides myself too many photographs of the tour so if you would like to see some more of the actual tanks and equipment I am sure wee can accommodate but for now I figured I would just post the pics that had some PNWMAS Crew in them.

WP_20150627_091_zpskskrnf5a.jpg

Hey! This light looks familiar!

WP_20150627_111_zpsw18p6efq.jpg

one pic of the awesome day at the beach, some of you guys really missed out...Good thing Cid and Tim agreed to do this tour again next year for us fine hobbyists. Make plans next for this one year people, this is a great event you don't want to miss.

And I will finish this saying it was a wonderful time full of learning and socializing with like minded people, so much fun. Thank You so much to those involved in setting this up and for those who attended. I have said it once and I will say it again PNWMAS Rocks!

• Like 8

Great behind the scenes tour. I learned a lot. Some really smart set- ups in the labs. We have an awesome club. Our Prez is a man of conviction. The VP is always there to get the shot, and get the job done. Emerald brought some really good and healthy treats to the BBQ. Nice meeting you. Eclipse thank you for the love cakes. Holly makes these chocolate chip cookies that are delicious. What a great day.

• Like 2

Good morning!

I posted a reply in the Meetings forum before seeing this post. Thanks again for coming out to the coast, folks! 'Twas our pleasure to host and meet so many of you. See you next June!

Going to this tour made me wish I had attended the previous years as there is so much to take in. My son was very interested so I took a couple brochures to get him a little bit more information on what the facility has to offer. Many different facets to the industry no matter what career path is chosen, it all almost made me want to go back to school seeing what this had to offer.

Sorry i missed this. I had a torsion spring break on my garage door on Friday afternoon and am unexpected house guest also arrived. Looks like a good time was had by all.

We missed you too Randy, Sorry to hear about the misshap of the day. it was really fun but don't worry there is always next year. Maybe I will see you at the next meet yeah.

Great behind the scenes tour. I learned a lot. Some really smart set- ups in the labs. We have an awesome club. Our Prez is a man of conviction. The VP is always there to get the shot, and get the job done. Emerald brought some really good and healthy treats to the BBQ. Nice meeting you. Eclipse thank you for the love cakes. Holly makes these chocolate chip cookies that are delicious. What a great day.

All things considered I really enjoyed the aftermath BBQ as well as all the foods surprisingly. I felt bad about not bringing anything edible but I will make up for it next time I promise. We will also bring a grill just in case, we had to get ingenuitive this time around.

• Like 1

I see that Emerald has also posted a thread pertaining to the Tour, as I said before there were many other pictures taken so I am sure if some one asks for some more shots of a particular part of the meeting one of us with a camera can accommodate.

WP_20150627_032_zpsowhhiyrz.jpg

So much to see and hear but as Kim mentioned DO NOT TOUCH.

• Like 1

Going to this tour made me wish I had attended the previous years as there is so much to take in. My son was very interested so I took a couple brochures to get him a little bit more information on what the facility has to offer. Many different facets to the industry no matter what career path is chosen, it all almost made me want to go back to school seeing what this had to offer.

We missed you too Randy, Sorry to hear about the misshap of the day. it was really fun but don't worry there is always next year. Maybe I will see you at the next meet yeah.

All things considered I really enjoyed the aftermath BBQ as well as all the foods surprisingly. I felt bad about not bringing anything edible but I will make up for it next time I promise. We will also bring a grill just in case, we had to get ingenuitive this time around.

Too bad the vandals got to the BBQ Grills before we did! Yes, we managed to make it work anyways!!

Our next PNWMAS picnic will be August 23rd. I will be taking a drive out to Champoeg Park to check on it in a few days!

Nice pictures Robert! Yes I took some pictures too and posted them! I think here on out if you are at a meeting I will leave that duty to you! It will be nice for me to just be able to meander around and meet everyone! :)

Was also nice to see your son take charge of taking pictures and be interested in the hobby. He's a good kid and was very helpful!