Ideas for a nano fish?

Emerald525

I have a 20 gallon nano so have very limited space that I'm not used to. Was thinking of getting one more fish. I have 2 clownfish and one clown goby. I want to add one more fish. I want something with color and personality. I have a cover. I want reef safe so Toby puffer is out of the question.

My thoughts were a flasher wrasse or helfrichi firefish. Any other ideas?

Edited by Emerald525

Some great ideas! Some of them I didn't think about like the Pygmy hawk and some I have forgotten about like the royal gramma! I could have a nemo tank! Just need a moorish idol and blue tang!

( disclaimer totally kidding about the idol and tang please don't call the tang police ????)

• Like 1

Tailspot is one of my favorites and have great personality (Another great one is a yellow watchman goby .. They always look grumpy, but awesome personality as well).

If you want a little rarer you could always go with the beautiful Dracula Goby and pair him with a Pistol Shrimp.  They are fun to watch.

Tailspot blenny is not a bad idea either and a lot cheaper than a helfrichi!  Great ideas keep em coming! I'm trying to stay away from the gobies because while I love them. I do not love them burying my frags in sand. :)

I do love when they pair with a pistol shrimp. I'm also looking for a fish that swims all around the tank and not just the bottom.

Edited by Emerald525

I put a Yasha Goby and a tiny white and red pistol shrimp in my biocube.  Would do good in your size setup.  Awesome to watch them interact

Yes I love the yasha's and I paired one with a pistol shrimp before. I just want something that swims around more to look at. :) I agree pretty cool to watch ! :)

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I stopped by to see Jeff today. He has a lot of small fish. He has the coolest looking baby Harlequin tusk and that's what I got...

Wait for it.....

Totally kidding but someone should get that if they have an aggressive tank.  :laugh:

I was going to get a possum wrasse but they didn't come on his shipment and I'm impatient so I went with the tailspot blenny. I decided to go with personality over looks though I was tempted to get the royal gramma! He's got lots of nice fish and they are on the smaller side like sailfin tangs. I personally like getting the smaller fish because I feel like as they grow they acclimate better to living in a hobbyist tank.

I had a snowflake eel like that. It was so tame and never once tried to crawl out of the tank.

I've got a lawn over Blenny and a royal gramma in mine..

Though I now wish I kept the smallest of nano fish for the overall age I want the tank.. A hi fin goby, clown goby, and a possom wrasse would be my ideal for mine..

If Jeff gets those possom wrasse in, let me know.. I really want one again

Time for an upgrade, you know you will :)

I love the plain old firefish, just a plain beautiful even if common fish.   So many cool nano fish to choose from.  

Lately I have been loading up the display with my favorite small fish.  There is room even for the bossy little guys, like damsels, six line, etc.  Kind of a cool twist, nano style fish in a big tank.  Kind of liking it.

Most likely I am still guilty about the trigger eating my fang blenny, not sure  :nutty:

lol Jeff said the same thing. There are limits to what I can get but that's not necessarily a bad thing when you have an addiction! I like the idea of adding little fish to a big tank. A lot of the aggression you see is just that they are cramped. I had a pseudochromis in a 150 and never had any issues. It was with triggers too and they left it alone.

I almost went with the purple firefish but I have not had a tailspot blenny before.

• Like 1

Man my trigger just one day looked at that little fang blenny and pounced on him.  Fang blenny tried desperately to use his poison fang on the trigger to no avail.  Trigger ate him right in front of me tail first before I could get my hand in the water and scold him!  

ugh...

I love those pseudochromis with the yellow/orange body and purple back.  What are those guys called again?  That would be a nice add!

What kind of triggers did you like to keep?