Anyone use pellet grills?

TheClark

Hey Matty, congrats!!

I did get one and am in love so far!!

So far done the basics, hamburgers twice, hot dogs once, and tried teriyaki chicken skewers.

Skewers did not turn out so good, hamburgers were amazing!  Juicy and flavorful.  Kids like them better than fast food hamburgers.

Anyone have a good teriyaki chicken recipe for the grill?

• Like 1

Just learned of a new meal to make which was pretty good. They are called a fatty. You make a bacon weave then lay down a layer of ground sausage on top of the bacon then add any fillings that you'd like on top of the sausage. I used cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onions and bell peppers you then roll it all up like a big roll sushi making sure to press the ground pork together to seal in the other goodies. Toss it on your smoker at 225 and smoke until your internal temp is at 165 takes about 3 hours. Once you're done you'll thank me.

Side note for any of you that are just starting out. Invest in a thermapen thermometer. The 2 most important thing with smoking is controlling your temperature in the smoker and pulling your food at the desired internal temperature, this can't be judged by time alone as all cuts of meet are slightly different. Yes this gadget will cost you $100. Think of how much money worth of meat you'll put on your grill. 5 degrees of internal temp in some cuts is the difference between delicious, rubber or salmonella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like always I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I to have a pellet pit and have owned several others. Right now I have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett. I've owned two Daniel Boons both the old original models and two of the chines traegers.

If I remember correctly Bently gave the Louisiana grill a stellar review on pellet heads forum.

If I had all the money I have spent on pellet grills to do it all over again I would buy a MAK! But now days bang for the buck is hands down the Green Mountain Grill.

There customer service is bar none. Jason the factory regional sales rep even delivered one to my house for no charge at all. Also when one of mine broke down I received personal attention from David Baker himself. He is the owner of the company.

I am not affiliated With Geen Mountain Grills just a third time satisfied customer.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, Green Mountain does seem like a great value.  To have killer customer service and great value, that is a rare combo.

I ended up with the Louisiana and really like the searing feature.  Can sear hamburgers, then move them over to smoke.  So far so good!

What are everyone's favorite pellets? I have only tried the GMG gold blend so far.

I stick with Bear Mt. Usually. Cash and carry has them for 9.90 a bag just a little cheaper then GMG. Both are a quality low ash content pellet. Bear Mt. Use Oregon alder as there base wood so alder flavor is pure. I stay away from traegers pellets all together after I found a rusty wood screw in a new sealed bag. Did some research to find people saying since they to are now made in China they grind up oak shipping pallets as base wood. Then add a chemical scent of the flavor wood of choice. They also seem to produce more ash per pound used so your vacuuming out the fire pot more often. I have also tried two others don't remember the names. One sold by my local meat store and the other sold by Home Depot and Bimart. Same problem as the traegers, lots of ash and soot.

• Like 1

I too have a Traeger and love it. Since its the fourth....what are you guys cookin today? I am doing 3 tri-tips, just put them on about an hour ago.

My father in law smoked ribs on his Big Green Egg so I am doing baked potatoes and corn on mine.

Edited by matty

My Brinkmann gas grill is toast and the Traeger rep at Home Depot got me pointed at pellet grills. I think I might be ready to sell my salt water tank and get a GMG Daniel Boone with WiFi.

One real nice thing about GMG is you can load them up. You can stand beer can chickens in them no problem. In fact I have cooked a full sized 20lb turkey on a turkey cannon with no problems. They are tall enough to make jerky racks and hang jerky or fish from hooks.

I do admit they make a better smoker then grill. If you don't clean them good before trying to grill at 500+ they seam to soot the food a bit. Red meat you don't see it as much. But skinless chicken or pork you find a slight black specks. It seems worse on rainy days. My buddy told me he heats his to 500 before every cook then sets his temp and let's it settle in and has no soot problems.

They turned out great the moment the wings hit the table everyone went silent and they destroyed the wings. Sometimes the best compliment to the chef is when you guests can even talk to tell you they like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk