Preparing shopping list, need advice

ChrisQ

Hi PNWMAS!

I can make this long and drawn out but i'll do my best to spare you.

As life creates sudden surprises, i lost my dad this mother's day and after spending everyday of my existence with him, i've been having a hard time as of late. I've been in the hobby coming up on 3 years and i've been toying with the notion of getting out, i've decided to give it one last hurrah! (He would agree)

The mission is to make my reef life a little easier, so i'm trying to put a list together with little knowledge.

Now on to the fun stuff..

Capture234_zps8thb2ifc.jpg

Tank: 60 x 20 x 17 eurobraced (Goal, SPS dominate with some LPS)

Current water volume with sump appox 112g

Let's start with the Apex, now at this point i have no need for the ORP but i really like the fact i would be able to monitor my salinity at a glance. I'm not sure it's the best route to go here, it looks to add up quick buying separate without the ORP (I have still yet to cover what ORP is) but i plan to go Triton

With the lights it was between a dimmable ATI sunpower or Kessil's i've been leaning toward the Kessil's as long as i can get away with only using two (eurobrace is in the way of a 3rd anyway)

Skimmer:

I've been looking at Vertex, Skimz, Reef octopus, can't decide. I just don't want to have to worry about it for awhile.

Sump:

I need a new sump (outer seams cracked) i was looking into Trigger systems and would love to get my hands on a Ruby36e but again i need some advice on all this, any thoughts on these choices with my tank and goal? and yes, Ca Rx is next, as soon as i can wrap my head around it.

I'm sure i'm forgetting a ton but we'll hopefully cover those bases as well, Thank you all!

The apex conductivity probe is surprisingly accurate.  I have a milwaukee tester and a calibrated refractometer  and both are very close the apex regularly.  I use it to turn off my ATO/Kalk/Auto Water change if salinity gets too low, just another safeguard.

My .02 is ATI all the way In my experience the kessil's will not compare or even come close to the ATI. Save your money on buying the dimmable version as the sunpower is all you need?

Thanks Brian, with my sized tank, which unit will i need?

I will certainly miss that shimmer though, but somethings are more important i guess.

Edited by ChrisQ

Any other thoughts from anyone? 

If i went ATI, i wasn't sure if a 48'' fixture would cut it on a 60'' tank (No experience with the coverage) also if it would be better to use the x8 or if the x6 would be sufficient, many unknowns for me. I should also mention i was looking at the Kessil due to the annual cost of T5's, it may become a problem in my foreseeable future. (Bulb replacement and a higher monthly power bill)

I also want to research more how often a ballast might go out with these fixtures, even though it's very easy to replace, i don't like the idea of having to disassemble a near $1000 fixture several times. 

Any other thoughts from anyone? 

If i went ATI, i wasn't sure if a 48'' fixture would cut it on a 60'' tank (No experience with the coverage) also if it would be better to use the x8 or if the x6 would be sufficient, many unknowns for me. I should also mention i was looking at the Kessil due to the annual cost of T5's, it may become a problem in my foreseeable future. (Bulb replacement and a higher monthly power bill)

I also want to research more how often a ballast might go out with these fixtures, even though it's very easy to replace, i don't like the idea of having to disassemble a near $1000 fixture several times. 

I think most everyone knows I'm pro T5's... There's no comparison between any of the ATI fixtures and the Kessil. If you were comparing Radion Pro's then it might be a fair fight depending on your personal preference. 

I've only had one ballast go out in any of my ATI fixtures and it was my own fault that it happened. One of my fixtures the Powermodule on my tank is at least 5 years old and hasn't had an issue. I wouldn't make ballast failure a concern since it very rarely happens. If for some reason it does they're super easy to replace if need be. ATI designs everything to be totally user serviceable.

A 48" 8 bulb Sunpower would light your tank just fine and you could grow sps anywhere you wanted with a 6 bulb fixture too although the extra two bulbs are pretty nice to tweak your color while still putting out a lot of light.

If you really want to make sure you've got your whole tank covered ATi does make a 60" fixtures as well.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_60_Inch_SunPower_T5HO_High_Output_Fixtures_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums_60_Inch_Fixtures-ATI-UZ3013-FILTFIT5SI-vi.html

Bulb cost is what it is... I always recommend that people make it a habbit of buying one bulb a month or every other month and that way the cost never seems as high and you aren't forced to replace all your bulbs at once. It just spreads the cost out... Power bill, well that's something you're going to have to deal with either way, LED's at full power aren't really that much cheaper to run if you compare them to actual power consumption. Two Kessil's vs a 8 T5's isn't a fair comparison of output vs power consumption.

I've had an ATI X2 fixture on my frag tank for about a month now and I'm very impressed with the color and the output is very impressive as well. You'd need the X8 to really cover a 60" tank IMO. It's a great design and a different approach to using LED light. I will say the built in controller is worthless and a total PITA. The PC connection to program the light is kinda odd but once you get it figured out it's pretty nice, just a different learning curve.

Anyways it's late, so hopefully all of that makes sense... I'll add more or answer any of your other questions if I can when I'm not half awake.

I would not worry about coverage. That was my fear when I set up a tank for SPS. I also had a 60" and had the 8 bulb fixture. Here is a picture of the tank and par values when it was up and running. The ATI grew SPS well and had good coloration. The only disadvantage was having to change the bulbs out every year because that's a bit of a pain but I love the spread and you don't get the shadowing effect of the LEDs.

Here is a picture when it was up and running.

DSC08127ARW-1.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all!!

And thanks Chris for taking the time with a long excellent post when you're tired, i appreciate it! I really like the idea of buying a new bulb every other month so it's not such a hit all at once.

I spent a long time going through the factory 2nd's and the more i thought about it, there's some great deals there, but with this new equipment list, i'm going to treat some of it like i do my Home audio system, scratches and dents are not an option really.

After seeing Kris' Aquamaxx Ca Rx. i was impressed with the company and and wanted to learn more on their line of skimmers, so i've been researching the line all night, i landed on one (AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3) and should maybe make a skimmer specific thread to compare all the skimmers i've been researching (Octopus,Vertex,Skimz and now Aquamaxx.

Again thanks all!

Thank you all!!

And thanks Chris for taking the time with a long excellent post when you're tired, i appreciate it! I really like the idea of buying a new bulb every other month so it's not such a hit all at once.

I spent a long time going through the factory 2nd's and the more i thought about it, there's some great deals there, but with this new equipment list, i'm going to treat some of it like i do my Home audio system, scratches and dents are not an option really.

After seeing Kris' Aquamaxx Ca Rx. i was impressed with the company and and wanted to learn more on their line of skimmers, so i've been researching the line all night, i landed on one (AquaMaxx ConeS CO-3) and should maybe make a skimmer specific thread to compare all the skimmers i've been researching (Octopus,Vertex,Skimz and now Aquamaxx.

Again thanks all!

No problem, the factory seconds are hit or miss. I know someone who just got a power module hybrid for $550 off of retail because it had a small dent on the backside that you'd never even know was there once it was hung. Some of the fixtures look like they were hit with a forklift but are priced accordingly lol.

I'm super anal about my equipment so I totally understand wanting it to stay like new and starting out factory fresh.

IMO all the new skimmers from the mentioned companies all work great, pick which ever fits your budget, sump etc. The most important part is a quality pump that has parts readily available. They'll all work great if tuned properly.

I like the new Bubble Mag Curve skimmers, they're built solid, they have a quality Sicce pump and they're also really easy to take apart and clean. They're also priced really competitive too.

Edited by Arsonmfg