40gal Breeder Start Up

NanoDrummer09

So just moved here with my wife and of course had to start the tank as soon as possible.  So i dried out my rock from when it was previously set up and finally mixed the salt, added the sand, and had the rock churning in a rubbermaid for a week before adding, why?  I don't know but i felt like it would be helpful.  So I'm running LEDS custom build with an assortment of brands including Rapid Leds.  I got it on a sunrise sunset timer and keeping my whites at 30% capacity. Im waiting for some spikes in levels and some constants before i add anything.  Any advice on things to try out?  How to quicken things up?  Im kind of anxious but happy i got this far.  Also have an ATO system hooked up and just running an HOB filter with carbon.  Trying to be a minimalist and potentially go filterless all together and just do water changes. Also Im using Red Sea Max Coral Pro salt mix keeping my salinity at 1.025-.027.  

Also if anyone knows how to upload pics so they're under 2KB?? Thanks

Sounds like a winning combination.

Regarding the speed up the process, there are some guys here on the forum who have sped up tank cycles with bacteria additives.  Or just be patient ;)  Which is sure tough sometimes!

Sounds cool, you can upload pics to photobucket or other photo hosting sites and post up the link here.

I would try a cultured bacteria or a small piece of LR from someone's established tank. There are a lot of "quick cycle" methods but patience will pay off best.

As far as going "filter less" it's possible. I would recommend a skimmer though for the airation at least. There is some interesting info on it if you search around.

Like was mentioned the Dr.Tims nitrifying bacteria and using live rock really speeds up the cycling process. I used a live sand , live rock and nitrifying bacteria and I really did not have much if a cycle to my tank. So far I have not had the hair algae that I typically see. I agree if you are going to go filter less then a protein skimmer is a good investment.

I'll check that out and probably try to snag a piece of LR from a local reefer. Woke up this morning to a crystal clear tank. And just curious but wouldn't adding a protein skimmer take away from the filter less concept? Also i haven't found any decent HOB skimmers that aren't crazy expensive but I guess the same would apply to in sump skimmers. Haha

As far as a skimmer goes, buy new means buying high. Buy used means buying low. Some prefer new and change parts and pieces like crazy.

What I am getting at is is you ask on the forums to see who might have one for sale

I would also call the local shops and maybe they have one that they will let go for cost? They could also have a tank they took in and are parting it out for a customer.

Lots of deals to be had but you have to stay active and sometimes think outside the box. Good luck.

I'll check that out and probably try to snag a piece of LR from a local reefer. Woke up this morning to a crystal clear tank. And just curious but wouldn't adding a protein skimmer take away from the filter less concept? Also i haven't found any decent HOB skimmers that aren't crazy expensive but I guess the same would apply to in sump skimmers. Haha

What is your goal for going filterless? I just feel if you are going to go without a sump you're going to need something like a skimmer to help remove food and waste in between the water changes. The Pioneer school tank, all I did was a water change once a month. Mainly did softies and used a protein skimmer and that kept things looking pretty good. I just thinks it helps to keep things in balance if you have something that is continuously removing waste otherwise it can build up and cause problems that people see like cyano, hair algae, nitrites.

I agree with asking around. Many people have them lying around or checking with a shop. I have the IM ghost skimmer on my nano 20 that I think I have finally dialed in. It's not pulling out the thick green stuff my old skimmer did but that could also be that the tank is relatively new and I only have 2 fish. 

Well a clown goby too but I have not seen him since I got him so he may have jumped...