Signs of Zoa Stress and How to Fix It

Sasquatch

Signs of zoa stress and how to fix it..

1. Too much light or being trampled by hermits and snails they will close or look squished, maybe bruised. You want to move them to a darker lower spot or on a ledge that a shell cannot travel to easily

a51f40abdd13322928a1b869e2c56ddc_zpsekhk

:The red Zoas were in to strong of light and just the centers are showing, the bottom ones are all shut on one side, if these happen rearrange them until they reopen again

:Either partial shade or lower down than before, sometimes if they reach to tall and look like trumpets it's to little of light. The far right is the same morph in proper lighting

2. Algae can be the death of Zoasa345ddff74d4e1631dab05e0f3650387_zpsxm1s

: you want to put it somewhere snails can graze, and get a clean up crew that eats the algae if you do not have hermits or a Seahare does great with green hair algae.

: if the CUC isn't touching it, pull the algae out with your fingers if it's long enough, or frag up the zoa and clip off the rock surrounding the polyps till you have separated the polyps from the rock and reglue to a new clean live/dry rock

3. Being stung by coral or worms, Sometimes you get spider webs inside the tank or so etching is eating your Zoas

a08a7af426173db1c409e2011dc17dd3_zpsyafv

:The God or wars (right) are bleached and closed up, maybe have brown or black spots on them from where the Vermitid worm's spider web is stinging them, or maybe it's a sweeper from a coral it will look like this

: super glue up the source of the spider webs, it should look like a feather duster hole with 2 antennae reaching out, or move the coral or zoa out of sweeping range.

:This photo ^ also shows how I arrange a clear path for hermits to crawl around my Zoas and not over them, steep walls and frags on a plateau will keep them from climbing, but they need an easy route to travel on. (You can see the red skirt Zoas on the left look closed and bruised from being trampled over when the route was clogged with a plug)

2f08c17267e24239159487637738c708_zps1n3g

:Overhangs and channels need to be built in between your rockwork, and you can build in fences to make them go around the long way, see the rocks sticking up on the left used to be the climbing path.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Good stuff thanks for sharing.  It is such a mystery sometimes when they are closed for no apparent reason.

I echo another tip you shared with me a couple years ago.  When in doubt, dip em.  Sometimes there are predators you cannot detect, but dip anyways.  

• Like 1

Well thanks for the info Squatch, like many corals zoas can have a sensitive side and usually it is simply a matter of finding out what it is that  is bothering them. 

You got the idea Softy, preventative maintenance at its finest, too funny.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By OregonGrownReef
      I've got about 20 different strains of zoanthids I'm going to start fragging up for sale. I just bought 2 frag racks, so I've got plenty of room for all of those corals you're going to buy.

-All corals are cut to order.

-All frags will be 3-5 polyps, unless otherwise stated or agreed upon. Prices may vary if any other number of polyps is requested. 

-A minimum of 5 days is required for all corals to heal after cutting. If a coral dies during the healing process, a new frag will be cut or refund will be issued if one is not available.

-Corals can be held for up to 7 days after the initial healing period.

-There is a minimum purchase of $100. To make up for possible gas costs or shipping materials, I have to set a minimum purchase amount. I apologize for the inconvenience.

-An email with tracking information will be sent on the agreed upon shipping date if local pickup/arrangement is not possible. Shipping is up to the seller to pay, up to a maximum of $50 to the continental US. Local pickup is available for those willing to drive to Salem, OR. I'm willing to drive depending on the purchase amount. There is a 24-hour DOA guarantee for shipped corals; no DOA guarantee for local pickup as there are many variables that could affect the health of the coral outside of my control (ie. leaving the coral in a hot car, car accidents, improper securing of coral in vehicle). Picture documentation must be provided within the first 24 hours of delivery or a refund/replacement will not be made.

-Payment information will be settled in private messages. PayPal is preferred.

-No trades for other corals will be made. I don't have the time or money to quarantine new corals, which is why I only purchase from trusted vendors. If you're interested in trading for equipment, private message me.

Thank you all so much for stopping by. I'll try to keep up with availability as best I can. Don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Sunny D's- $25 (multiple available)

WWC Safecracker- $20 (multiple available)

WWC Evil Heart Zoas $50 (multiple available)

WWC Clownface Zoas- $40 (multiple available)

Strawberry Wine Zoa- $25 (multiple available)

Scrambled Eggs Zoa- $30 (multiple available)

BEBB- $30 (multiple available)

WWC LA Lakers- $35 (multiple available)

WWC Loganberry Zoa- $25 (multiple available)

Goblins on Fire Zoa- $35 (limited available)

Bloodsucker Zoa- $30

WWC Baby Yoda Zoa- $40 (limited availability)

Snitches Zoa- $75 (limited availability)

Pink Diamond Zoa- $20 per polyp (limited availability)

CB Rockstar Zoa- $60 (limited availability)

Sold to me as CB Punk Rocker, but has morphed over time so not sure....regardless- $25 (multiple available)

• By Dakotapi3rc3
      Hi All,
      Reef flux and other namely fluconazole treatments all seems to be a week out. I have some reef flux currently ordered but won't be here until much later.
      Does anyone have any spare/in hand right now I could purchase or trade coral for? Would like to start this process today as this stuff is growing faster than I can remove it.
    • By reefrun
      Tank is starting to get a bit full so I’m gonna try a sale. We aren’t comfortable having people in the house yet so you can pick things up from my front porch (Lake Oswego) or I can meet up at Cuttlefish in Friday afternoons it anytime Saturday/Sunday. I know seeing people’s tanks is half the fun so I’m willing to try FaceTime if people want
      Heres the list (package deals possible)
      ASD Leprechauns- $70pp
      CB White Zombies - $50pp
      CB Walking Dead - $50pp (similar to zombies but color is more darker red, white, and mint.. really unique)
      OG Magicians - $20 for 5 polyps 
      RDPE (Red Devil People Eaters) - $15pp
      GB Rainbow Troll - $60pp
      Rastas - $15 for 5+
      CB Pink Diamonds - $30pp or 3 for $70
      CB Disco Inferno - $20 or $50 for 3
      Nuc Greens - $20 for 5 polyps 
      BBEB (Blondies) - $10pp or $25 for 3
      Red Death - $15 for 1 polyp or $40 for 3 polyps (1 available)
      No Name Zoas (dark green, light green, with peach mixed in) - $10 for around $15 polyps 
      Mixed colony - one plug with 6 Pink Diamonds, 7 Rastas, and a bunch of the no names $80
      JF Burning Banana - $30
      JF Freak Hair - $20 (small frags)
      WWC Bizarro - $20

All the names zoas were bought from the source, so they’re legit.
      Some of these are already cut. Some will be on frag pieces rather than a whole plug, or multiples on a single plug.

• By NateDawg
      11/10/19
      Frags up for sale. I have a few of each that I will be posting. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I may be interested in trades depending on what you got to offer. I have bundle options too. 
      Buy 1 frag = regular price
      Buy two frags = 5% off purchase
      Buy three frags = 10% off purchase
      Buy 4 frags = 15% off purchase
      Buy 5+ frags = 20% off purchase
      I am located in Albany, OR but do travel to Portland so I can meet people there if needed. If the frag dies within 7 days from obtaining it, replacement will be given based on the sellers discretion and photo evidence. But if there's any other issues, just message me and we can work things out.
      Pink Diamond Zoanthids 3+ polyps - $50 (1 frags left)
      Utter Chaos Zoanthids 3+ polyps - $35      (Sold out currently)
      Granny Apple Smith Zoa 3+ polyps - $35   (2 frags left) 
      Blueberry fields Zoa 20+ polyps - $20        (Sold out currently)
      Jk's Crab Nebula 5+ polyps - $20                (Sold out currently)
      Pink diamonds

Utter Chaos

• By Tyler E
      Last night my daughter broke a glowstick went all over the house woke up this morning to glowstick on the fishtank and it did this
      Have no other tank its a 50 gal mixed reef 

Lay it on me how long do i have if not long who wants to buy some live stock