Ideas on my frag tank?

Paratore

I am looking into setting up a small frag tank for growing mostly zoas and I am thinking about using a mr aqua 11.4 gallon tank. 

Filtration: 2 aqua clear HOB filters. One with media and the other modified to be a fuge. Looking to get a smaller HOB protein skimmer in a couple weeks. 

Heater: 75watt cobalt heater

Powerhead: hydro 180 gallon pump

Lighting: not sure yet, ideas??

Bare bottom tank with raised egg crate. 

That is what I have thought of so far. If you guys could throw in your two cents it would be greatly appreciated! 

I'd stay away from the eggcrate-at first it'll be good but fast forward at some point it will house unwanted algae. Hopefully your fortunate and you want aquire a frag that has that one bubble algae you miss and then it'll start growing in the squares.

And if it truly will be frags only Id go bare bottom, easier to maintain and less problematic-that's just my experiences. You might get away with a 25 watt heater unles the 75 is tiny or isn't in the tank area-more space for frags :)

Everything wlse sounds ok.

Frag tanks are a cool way to experiment

I'd stay away from the eggcrate-at first it'll be good but fast forward at some point it will house unwanted algae. Hopefully your fortunate and you want aquire a frag that has that one bubble algae you miss and then it'll start growing in the squares.

And if it truly will be frags only Id go bare bottom, easier to maintain and less problematic-that's just my experiences. You might get away with a 25 watt heater unles the 75 is tiny or isn't in the tank area-more space for frags :)

Everything wlse sounds ok.

Frag tanks are a cool way to experiment

Thank you for the feed back! Should I just set the frags on the bottom of the tank then instead of egg crate or what? the 75 watt heater is super thin (size of a pencil thick) so it hardly takes up any room  :rolleyes:

What would you recommend for lighting?

I use the ocean wonders tiles as they have a little weight to them and when the pumps hit the acros they don't blow over :)

Lighting is really up to what ever you prefer, Im all in on the LED unless it's for my ACANS in which case I run T5.

I keep a yellow tang in each frag tank to help with algae control and also a bunch of astrea or Trochus snails. Having the bare bottom makes it easier to syphon detritus

Thank you for the feed back! Should I just set the frags on the bottom of the tank then instead of egg crate or what? the 75 watt heater is super thin (size of a pencil thick) so it hardly takes up any room :rolleyes:

What would you recommend for lighting?

There are a lot of guys on here that can make an acrylic one for you that work well and look nicer and tend not to attract algae!