itskris

I have some green algae forming in mats on top of my sand.  I don't have anything sand sifting right now... I can clean my tank and syphon the sand and the stuff will come back in a day or two.  I run Rowa phosphate removal in a reactor.  

My question is... How bad would it be if I just went in daily and mixed up the sand to try and bury the algae so it can die off without light. The stuff does float up when it can be blown off of the sand but it comes up in small pieces that I have trouble getting out. I haven't had much luck removing large chunks of it. It is getting worse daily and where it was concentrated in one spot it has now spread.  It will cover up the stuff I have in the sand bed and not let things open up.  

Best solution?

I would not try to bury it, it could create hydrogen sulfide pockets. If you release a sulfide pocket, it could kill your fish. Keep pulling the algea. There is are other ways to help fight unwanted algae. Turn off the lights for 3 or more days. Reduce the amount of food you are feeding you fish/ coral. Make sure you do not have a die animal. Do weekly water changes. Get some green macroalgae.

I've tried all the suggestions above even no sand :puke: the later is to unrealistic for me.

It turned out to be flow related and sand sifting stars, conchs, Diamond body, sleeper gobies - non of that helped.

I've recently added a TMC 114 watt UV that has nuked everything in the water column (which works for me) algae is a thing of the past, as is any free floating parasite-the good the bad the "whatever" is radiated and my tanks looking better than ever can't even tell there is water in it LOL

Maybe missed the point in all that blab, but stirring up the sand as you described won't eliminate it, at least it didn't for me.

Increase flow to that area and see if that helps- I added the UV to help in killing free floating pests like ich (whichever state they are in when they are free floating) I don't have a Fuge so a UV is good for my tank/needs

Edited by reefnjunkie

I've tried all the suggestions above even no sand :puke: the later is to unrealistic for me.

It turned out to be flow related and sand sifting stars, conchs, Diamond body, sleeper gobies - non of that helped.

I've recently added a TMC 114 watt UV that has nuked everything in the water column (which works for me) algae is a thing of the past, as is any free floating parasite-the good the bad the "whatever" is radiated and my tanks looking better than ever can't even tell there is water in it LOL

Where did you get the UV, didn't come up on a search 

Where did you get the UV, didn't come up on a search 

That's why the PM-sorry about that Steve-it's a 110 watt unit not 114. The was a 114 watt unit I was looking at but after reading all I did on UV I realized that unit was inferior, or at least in my opinion it was based on the logic behind them

Thank you RedAcan.  I did some googling for pictures of green cyano and I would say that is exactly what it is.

I'm going to treat this weekend after my water change.  

IF I went the route of keeping lights off for 3 days... How problematic can that be for coral?  I have some highend zoas, favia, and a rainbow alveopora. I would hate for things to die knowing what I paid for them.....

3 days with no light will kill it, but has shown some undesirable affects with acros and montis, often associated with a pH drop.

Treating with antibiotics like the I clean can work, but if any of the bacteria survive the next round will be worse, so on and so forth.

Cyano is a very efficient reproducer. It's able to round it's structure every 20 minutes. So leaving just a little bit will turn into a lot a bit quickly.

IMO find the source of the problem and deal with that. Then if it were me and I didn't have all the sticks I have I'd do the 3 days with no light, and monitor the tanks pH as best you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk