Ich management dilemma

fishmanmike01

My powder brown was showing signs of ick again recently however much worse this time forcing the decision to go fallow and just end this mess.

The dilemma I current am facing is my shark.

It's my understanding these sharks are extremely sensitive to medications and are best not put into environments containing them.

So......

If I set up a QT for the fish and treat, and then set up yet another tank for the shark and don't treat, aren't I just moving the ick right along with the shark? An article I read this morning said "all fish must be removed. Even disease "resistant" ones. Not sure how to go about this now.

If it were me I would also remove the shark but treat differently than the tang.

I would remove the shark and observe. While observing I would be prepared to treat if signs developed. I would treat with a quinine bases drug. Either quinine sulfate or chloroquine diphosphate/phosphate. (These drugs could also be used on the tang if you wanted to keep with similar treatment methods)

The shark is less likely to get the ich but it's best to remove it from the environment as to not be a resevior host. You are correct that sharks and other elaamobranchs are not keen on a lot of treatments but infected fish will need treatment and the treatments I listed are among the best options. Remove. Observe and treat if necessary

• Like 1

If it were me I would also remove the shark but treat differently than the tang.

I would remove the shark and observe. While observing I would be prepared to treat if signs developed. I would treat with a quinine bases drug. Either quinine sulfate or chloroquine diphosphate/phosphate. (These drugs could also be used on the tang if you wanted to keep with similar treatment methods)

I am currently treating all fish with chloroquine phosphate. Would you recommend placing the shark with them or separately?

Realistically you could probably add it if the QT tank permits and will maintain stability. If it were me though I would keep seperate from the display and QT tank and only treat when/if it showed signs. Otherwise I would let the display go fallow and just use that time to observe the shark and treat if needed. I like to treat conservatively and only when needed. Others may prefer the better safe than sorry approach. You will have to judge your circumstances and act accordingly

Realistically you could probably add it if the QT tank permits and will maintain stability. If it were me though I would keep seperate from the display and QT tank and only treat when/if it showed signs. Otherwise I would let the display go fallow and just use that time to observe the shark and treat if needed. I like to treat conservatively and only when needed. Others may prefer the better safe than sorry approach. You will have to judge your circumstances and act accordingly

By that logic your implying it's only carrying the parasite if there is visual signs?

By that logic your implying it's only carrying the parasite if there is visual signs?

Well a fallow period is usually what 6-8 weeks or so? So if you have him in observation during that period and don't see visual signs I would feel relatively safe adding it back to a system. The life cycle of ich would happen many times during that 6-8 weeks and one mandatory stage is the trophont stage when the parasites are visable as white spots on the fish. If you don't see them in 6-8 weeks you may be fine.

You can also take this observation a step further and do skin scrapes and microscopic analysis. Very easy to do even for a hobbiest with access to microscope. Take a slide or slide cover and scrape the fish from head to tail usually on the side or belly with medium pressure (hard enough to get slime coat off but not so hard to take scales). Put onto a slide. Add a drop of tank water and add a cover slide or cover slip. Look under a microscope for the ciliated parasite. It's a very basic diagnostic technique used my professional fish keepers to diagnose diseases. Do it weekly to be safe and again treat if necessary.

• Like 1

Are your parameters all in check? If so, a healthy fish can kick ich with just some time. A UV also helps as it keeps Ich out of the water column, but also improves the fish immunity to kick the ich. There is the whole QT process too.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Ich.html

Yes they are. I would agree with you, my first bout with Ick was about two months ago when both the powder and my hippo showed signs. Since then the hippo has been fat n happy however this would be the third bout for the powder. I just kinda freaked because it appears pretty bad this time around. Makes me feel bad.

Edited by fishmanmike01

I have never used a thing other than garlic extract (Kent marine) to rid fish of ich. I have had it several times, pretty bad, never lost a fish with the garlic treatment. I add it to their food and drops in the tank daily. I also add a lot of Selcon Marine supplement to the food as well.

I have never used a thing other than garlic extract (Kent marine) to rid fish of ich. I have had it several times, pretty bad, never lost a fish with the garlic treatment. I add it to their food and drops in the tank daily. I also add a lot of Selcon Marine supplement to the food as well.

No offense but the garlic is helping strengthen the fish's immune system, you've not rid the fish of ich, it's just not visible - in my most humblest opionion

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188770-understanding-ich.html

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188775-ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.html

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/191226-how-treat-ich.html

Good luck treating the problem Fishman, I've just yesterday set up my first QT after loosing a couple grand in fish- poor fish :(

You're totally right. It won't rid the tank but helps the fish kick the disease by boosting it's immune system. I use a UV sterilizer at a very slow flow to try to get it out of the tank.

If the fish are healthy enough, ich can live in the tank but never effect the fish.

Edited by Zwickm