HELPPPPPP WITH NEW TANK!

Michael

I looked into diy leds myself. I found it just wasnt really a deal for me since I didnt have any equipment to make them, I would had to buy everything.. by the time I was done totaling up everything I needed it ended up being the same price as buying LEDs. So I ended up with Ocean Revive Lights and I love them. I got the T247 for less than I would of buying everything I needed for the diy... just my thought.. :)

Everyone's situation is different, but I see a lot of "penny wise and pound foolish behavior" in the hobby. It's easy to talk yourself into cheap equipment to save a few bucks today, they pay... and pay... and pay far more over time with livestock losses, 'fixes' like goofball supplements and other 'medicine' (snake oil, almost across the board) and a list of other band-aids.

Go slow, get quality equipment and healthy livestock, then glow slow again.

That's them, I have 4 on my 7ft tank and the coverage is perfect. I run a single 60" t5 to supplement.

Purchasing "quality" lighting equipment is likely going to run you $500+ per light. If your parameters aren't dialed it's not going to matter what lights you buy. I'd focus on your levels and proper test equipment for an investment. Lights change so much as we learn more I'd personally rather not be so invested when the next breakthrough happens.

It's easy to buy "quality" equipment to light a 10 gal tank Andy, not a decent sized tank. We're talking $300 vs $1500 for the OP. You know how many times I can replace the lights if they go bad for that difference? Is it worth paying 5x the price so I can ramp and do lightning storms? Not IMO, on/off and manual has kept my tank kicking for over two years now with excellent growth.

Not trying to get into a rotating argument on buying cheap vs expensive, there are arguments for both sides. I just get tired of people focusing so much on the lighting aspect when realistically a well dialed tank with bargin lighting will outdo a Radion powered unkept tank.

In my experience, quality pays for itself. I've bought cheap stuff and have pretty much always regretted it. I've seen others cheap out, and end up getting what they pay for too. If you feel differently, or have a different experience that's fine -- but that's your experience, not mine. And of course things cost more on a bigger tank, but you've got a much bigger livestock investment to protect so I'd argue it's even more important to go with better gear... but again, that just me. I don't pay your bills.

And I certainly agree that basic husbandry outweighs equipment -- that's why I said "Go slow" twice. I don't think anyone is saying that lighting is the single most important variable in maintaining a healthy reef. I'm certainly not.

Hey guys, thanks again for the help, baught the lighys, got two dor my 5 foot long tank. I ahould get a third for perfect lighting, and think i will, but having the middle with less light than the sides might allow me to put a meat coral or something their and have noderate lighting....but still not too sure. Either way, the lights are awesome, have them running about half, they are super bright. Coral is lovin it!

Thanks guys!

:)

Very cool, I'd keep them at half or less to avoid bleaching out your corals. Getting a 3rd light is totally up to you and if you want higher light corals in the middle. You can mount them higher for better spread, I think mine are like 18-24" up.

So this is the same light you run? Nice to know!

I think the ORs LEDs are expected to last longer due to the heat sink (vs flat aluminum in D120s).  If I were to buy a platform to customize on again I would probably do the ORs but so far have been perfectly happy with the D120s.

Good luck!

Edited by theclark

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm from Arizona...looking at this forum because my brother wants to start a sw tank and he lives in Portland, anyway, I've been in the hobby for ten plus years and have a lot of experience with the good and the bad. I've had lots of failures and successes, trials and errors. My two-cents;

1. I would NEVER use tap water with an additive for my salt mixture. RO/DI from a reliable fish store is imperative! 

2. Never add anything when things a dying! Stabilize the tank first.

3. Nanoboxreef.com has the BEST LED lighting for the budget and Dave's customer service is outstanding! There is a link to email him for questions on lighting for your tank.

4. I use Aquavitro additives. Seed is wonderful to add good bacteria. Remediation helps with waste/detritus

5. Filter socks are great...add Matrix to the socks as well as the appropriate size bag(s) of Chemi-Pure

6. Be sure to stock your fuge with live rock rubble. I also put cheato in the fuge with a small coralife light to keep it growing.

7. Seed your cheato with Tigger-Pods from Reef Nutrition.

8. Poly-Filter pads are a must in my tanks...they do an awesome job controlling phosphates, ammonia, nitrites/nitrates, etc.!

9. Personally I never use carbon. If you use number 5 & 8 you really don't need to.

10. As you add the above, test water weekly and adjust. You may need to beef-up the Chemi-Pure and don't skimp on the Poly-Filters (by the way, don't throw out the PF unless they turn a color like red, just rinse when dirty and put back in.

11. Feed your fish quality frozen food like Bio-Pure or Hikari and always add Selcon. I make up a batch of frozen, soaked in Selcon (one dropper full) and keep it ready in my fridge in a sealed container.

12. Invest in some Reef Nutrition food/additives like Oyster Eggs, PhytoFeast, RotoFeast, etc. Very concentrated so add to tank sparingly WHEN you are able to add corals.

13. I firmly believe in naturally occurring organisms like bristle worms, spaghetti worms, etc. They are essential to keep a healthy tank.

I hope this helps, if I think of more I'll post. I'm available at lysamgarcia@gmail.com.