Setting up my Apex JR

pledosophy

I'm finally getting around to setting it up. I'm sure the learning curve will be ridiculous, but once it's all done it should be pretty cool. Looking forward to clearing that rat nest of wires under my stand and giving myself some added protection. 

Any advice before I get started?

I plan on running:

12 outlets

1 pH probe.

Controlling the Ca reactor to an auto shut off based on pH, increasing aeration if pH drops

Controlling lights- times on lights and turning off lights if the tank gets to hot

Turning on fans if the tank gets to hot

Setting up the Jaebo's so the water movement increases during the day, drops off, then increases again later on in the day, then cuts way down at night. (3 pumps will help this I hope)

Setting up computerized controls so I can turn on back up pumps if they fail while I am traveling.

Turning off my Vodka doser if the pH drops. 

Wish me luck! Oh and if anyone wants to come over and help, I have free beer (except for Mitchell, you get milk)

• Like 1

I'm finally getting around to setting it up. I'm sure the learning curve will be ridiculous, but once it's all done it should be pretty cool. Looking forward to clearing that rat nest of wires under my stand and giving myself some added protection.

I plan on running:

12 outlets

1 pH probe.

Controlling the Ca reactor to an auto shut off based on pH, increasing aeration if pH drops

Controlling lights- times on lights and turning off lights if the tank gets to hot

Setting up the Jaebo's so the water movement increases during the day, drops off, then increases again later on in the day, then cuts way down at night. (3 pumps will help this I hope)

Setting up computerized controls so I can turn on back up pumps if they fail while I am traveling.

Wish me luck! Oh and if anyone wants to come over and help, I have free beer (except for Mitchell, you get milk)

haha! I can have a beer;) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on running:

12 outlets

1 pH probe.

Hey congrats!

Those are all good uses, some quite original and interesting.  

Since the customer base is huge there are many great examples out there to google up as well.

I have a 4th level of safety in my overflows, a float switch that can turn off the return pump.  Pretty cool all the things you can do with float switches (dosing containers, overflows, atos, ato containers etc etc etc...).  Leak detectors are 10 bucks (not the apex ones).

Reeftronics is still cool even after fusion, I like it.  it is a great way to do a human readable config backup for example.  It texts you if it cannot reach your apex, been very reliable over the years.

You can browse other configs, mine is out there for better or for worse.

http://www.reeftronics.net/programns.php?member=theclark

Hey congrats!

Those are all good uses, some quite original and interesting.  

Since the customer base is huge there are many great examples out there to google up as well.

I have a 4th level of safety in my overflows, a float switch that can turn off the return pump.  Pretty cool all the things you can do with float switches (dosing containers, overflows, atos, ato containers etc etc etc...).  Leak detectors are 10 bucks (not the apex ones).

Reeftronics is still cool even after fusion, I like it.  it is a great way to do a human readable config backup for example.  It texts you if it cannot reach your apex, been very reliable over the years.

You can browse other configs, mine is out there for better or for worse.

http://www.reeftronics.net/programns.php?member=theclark

Where did you get your float switches? I think adding a few in there might be quite handy.

Ya know ... there is free beer at my place ;)

Milk.....Haha haha.

Don't laugh to hard, it's all I drink these days too. Milk, water and tea. It's like I turned into my Grandfather this last month.

wait.... Apex Jr. & 12 outlets, and pH Probe? Did you already buy the Jr.? If not you need the regular Apex which has 8 outlets and included pH Probe vs having to buy the extra outlet and PM1 modules for the Jr.

I got hooked up on a used Apex Jr with the PM and the pH probe. I just picked up an EB8 so I could do all I wanted to.

The possibilities are kinda endless on this. Should be a fun toy. I ended up getting swamped this week, but hopefully have everything I need to get this started Sunday or Monday afternoon (maybe Wednesday if the weather holds) I'm sure I will be back in here with a ton of questions and hair fresh from my scalp all over my keyboard soon. :D

Np I did a lot of research earlier this year when purchasing an apex system for my nano and looking over all the options and costs. I would have tried to get one used but seriously those disappear almost the instant they are listed with a good deal. So with all the price comparison got a really good feel for expense vs features. As I have a Nano and have noticed over the years pH does not fluctuate as much as it did in my 125 with a consistent 7.8 I really had no interest in watching that, though I do weekly water changes and with mis-calibrated refractometer and other goofs I had really f'd up the salinity a couple times so was really interested in keeping an eye on that as with only 12g you don't have much of a buffer. So I opted out for the Apex Jr with the PM2 Module & The breakout Box, really like the setup and as of now I am only using 2 of the sockets for my heater and light fixture. The only thing that I was concerned about is expandability with the Jr as it only allows for 5 additional add ons, so in your case if you have the Display, EB8, and PM1 you are allowed only 2 more modules to use but not sure if I will ever run into that as it serves my purpose quite well.