ruby red dragonet / randalli pistol shrimp relationship?

pipefish

once upon a time, I had a randalli/candy pistol shrimp & yasha goby combo. one day, like an idiot, I forgot to replace the temporary acrylic piece I was using to cover a 2in gap between the filter and the lid (rimless tank, custom glass lid). yasha goby decided to jump in search of the meaning of life, and turned into a yasha potato chip :/

fast forward and I replaced the yasha with a ruby red dragonet due it its commitment to staying submerged. 

for the last week or so, under actinic light only, I've observed my dragonet hanging out by the entrance of my shrimp's burrow, dorsal fin up & on the lookout. pistol shrimp then sneaks out to grab larger grains of sand/etc. and retreats back into its house. this goes on for at least 20 minutes and dragonet will peck at the sand as the shrimp digs around...... 

just... what? has anyone else seen this behavior? I'd get a video but I don't have a camera that can film under actinic light only...... 

• Like 1

And next on the menu...red dragonet:)

I really don't know what will happen...but since the dragonet in the wild needs to hunt it's food, I would think it would be out of the den for too long to return in safety, but that's my guess. Though in your little tank, the dragonette doesn't have to roam far...But I know I would be cringing everytime I heard a POP POP at night..."Was that my poor little dragonet, or just an angry pistol looking for a midnight snack."

Good luck Lexi:)

once upon a time, I had a randalli/candy pistol shrimp & yasha goby combo. one day, like an idiot, I forgot to replace the temporary acrylic piece I was using to cover a 2in gap between the filter and the lid (rimless tank, custom glass lid). yasha goby decided to jump in search of the meaning of life, and turned into a yasha potato chip :/

fast forward and I replaced the yasha with a ruby red dragonet due it its commitment to staying submerged. 

for the last week or so, under actinic light only, I've observed my dragonet hanging out by the entrance of my shrimp's burrow, dorsal fin up & on the lookout. pistol shrimp then sneaks out to grab larger grains of sand/etc. and retreats back into its house. this goes on for at least 20 minutes and dragonet will peck at the sand as the shrimp digs around...... 

just... what? has anyone else seen this behavior? I'd get a video but I don't have a camera that can film under actinic light only...... 

I sent the person that made this YouTube video an invitation. It would be nice if they could post some info here!

Oh man, that's so cool! I didn't know they danced like that when they spawned... 

Considering that there's not a ton of information on ruby red dragonets in the wild, and the fact that they and Randall's pistol shrimp share different localities (I think?) this is pretty interesting. I might write a paper on this next time I need to for class.....

@Mandinga: Suzu is a lover, not a fighter! lol (Otterchow is the one to look out for....)

• Like 1