Fish with the best personalities

Gil&Fin

When we contemplate getting another fish or two, we consider tank size, check compatibility charts, look at pictures of the fish, consider costs, but other than the occasional "shy" or "active" in online descriptions we don't usually know what to expect from a fish's personality.  I want to hear about your favorite fish and why!  Here are my favorites:

I have two yellow-headed pearly jawfish that crack me up.  They hide under the rock work and pop out one at a time to look around or eat.

I also have a flame hawkfish that perches himself in select spots and watches the other fish like he is on lunch duty in the playground. 

What's your favorite fish?

My Dwarf Golden Moray eel, he is just so unique and it amazes me he is a perfect replica of a giant moray but mini size! I have always loved them but never have had room for a full size one.

Personality wise, my old starry blenny. That dude was a riot! He would sleep in my toadstool leather and get all pissy at dinner time.

• Like 1

Mine might have to be the good ol' clown fish... they don't call them clown fish for nothing. I think what I enjoy most is watching them go nuts in their host anemone. Here's a pic of mine trying to get in his home after the anemone had closed all up.

image.jpg1_zps0ixybbcq.jpg

• Like 1

When we contemplate getting another fish or two, we consider tank size, check compatibility charts, look at pictures of the fish, consider costs, but other than the occasional "shy" or "active" in online descriptions we don't usually know what to expect from a fish's personality. I want to hear about your favorite fish and why! Here are my favorites:

I have two yellow-headed pearly jawfish that crack me up. They hide under the rock work and pop out one at a time to look around or eat.

I also have a flame hawkfish that perches himself in select spots and watches the other fish like he is on lunch duty in the playground.

What's your favorite fish?

people saw those flam hawk have great personality! Thinking about getting one:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a tough one...  Best, as in "nice" personalities? Some of those fish can be territorial and a couple are known to be jumpers. Not always though. Fish do have individual personalities, and sometimes act like they never read the book on how they are supposed to act! Just because they love the person that takes care of them, doesn't men they will always get along with their tank mates! Other times everyone is on the same team and get along! Sometimes a fish will not get along well with it's own species in a tank. many variables. Some blennies are mellow. I had one that caused every other fish in the tank to jump out.  Keep aggressive fish with other aggressive fish, and timid fish with other timid fish. As far as best?  I feel that is up to you observing and learning about it's personality. I have always liked puffers/cowfish/trunkfish, and also seahorses and pipefish. I also know that a lionfish or moray can have great personality! My problem is that I have been around to many fish and way too many tanks to even begin to count! Sorry if I am of no help. lol

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/saltwater_compatibility_tool.php

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_species.html

I had a bicolor Blenny for years that had the neatest personality. Back when all I could keep was softies and an occasional candy cane coral. I've got a flametail now that has nowhere near the personality. Blue throat trigger was pretty personable too. Now my fish fight to get my attention away from all the sps!

I had a maroon clown for 6 years. She was my sweety:) So tame and docile(to me at least!). When I adopted her out...yeah it was a sad day.

Now I have this Midas Blenny(adopted from another local reefer) who is a straight up devil fish. Bites me every time i put my arm near her cave. Makes me jump everytime...

I had a maroon clown for 6 years. She was my sweety:) So tame and docile(to me at least!). When I adopted her out...yeah it was a sad day.

Now I have this Midas Blenny(adopted from another local reefer) who is a straight up devil fish. Bites me every time i put my arm near her cave. Makes me jump everytime...

i have the same problem with one of my clowns! Whenever I stick my had it the tank he charges it! I call him Rick the dick! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that devil fish :) That's so crazy though she never did that us, maybe because she was always taking it out on the anthias.  Just throw some of them in your tank, lol.