Long term wave function & tank integrity

ChrisQ

I just want to get everyones opinions on this, glass or acrylic, but acrylic is preferred. 

The main thing i'm focused on is the long term effects of the rocking motion within the tank, especially when that "sweet spot" is achieved. 

One variable to get out of the way would be the stand so lets assume we're starting out with a rock solid stand. 

Acrylic thickness?

I pretty much just want to feel confident enough that i can set a strong wave motion in my tank and not worry i'm taking years off the life of my tank.

I may just have "new tank owner syndrome"  :laugh:

Here's a short video of what i'm asking about, i'm talking about that "Certain frequency" thats different for every tank. I mean heck, it can pull some bridges down and i've already finished off a tank that had questionable seems with a wp-25.

Edited by ChrisQ

I don't know man. I'd be OK with a small wave that didn't splash over your sides but still allowed your overflow to work normal. I'm not all that sure that super short wave motion is really that great anyway. It seemed to be the rage, but I'd be interested to see how many people have continued with it long term. It's a neat youtube feature I suppose. The fact that several tank manufacturers have excluded warranty would be enough for me I think.

I don't know man. I'd be OK with a small wave that didn't splash over your sides but still allowed your overflow to work normal. I'm not all that sure that super short wave motion is really that great anyway. It seemed to be the rage, but I'd be interested to see how many people have continued with it long term. It's a neat youtube feature I suppose. The fact that several tank manufacturers have excluded warranty would be enough for me I think.

Excluded warranty from the use of wave makers?

But yeah, i myself wouldn't use this feature 24/7 but my LPS (Torch in particular) seem to really like it, my rainbow nems on the other hand don't like it very much as their about to toss their tentacles i just wonder if it can stress the seams enough to failure after a while, i can see it being a problem with a glass tank more than a well built acrylic tank but still can't help myself to ask others opinions and experience.