Emerald crabs

Bicyclebill

Well I learned today just how ruthless a predator these guys can be! I bought a new fish that wasn't doing well right off the bat, and before I knew it the emerald crab was upside down in the sand wresting with him and ate him within a couple of minutes.I had no idea they ate anything more than algae.

Sad for the fish but a good reminder that crabs are opportunistic predators and will eat just about anything they can.

IME with Emeralds crabs they will try to take advantage of whatever they can.

Edited by pledosophy
clarity

I was dealing with some legitimate bubble algae in the 75 and a pair of them straight knocked it out. Something I didn't anticipate was that they also ate dictyota algae. I have been dealing with that stuff growing in various patches around my tank. I was getting quite frustrated with it because it spreads so easily. It was even growing around some acans and choking a couple out.

Well I was watching them a couple weeks ago and this crab was straight eating handfuls of it. I was really surprised because I had read that not many things eat it. So now I'm stoked!

If you don't have algae you probably don't need an emerald crab, its too bad they are soo hard to catch once they are in an established reef tank. Most of mine are model citizens but I have had a couple that were certainly taking more than their fair share.

Very good to know they are working on the Dictyota, I really don't like that nasty stuff.

These guys get a bad rap! They can be thuggish ruggish, but I always take the smallest ones I can get and haven't had too many issues with them. they remind me of little green army men from the movie toy story. I love it when they are high up on rocks and I feed the tank they "parachute off", sink to the bottom, right themselves and then start scavenging.

• Like 2

Rogue emerald. I have one...I thought he was eating montipora for a while there, but turns out he just likes to hang out on the monti digi at night...specifically green monti. Never seen him go near the red, purple or anything but green:)

• Like 1

Hate them.. Got one to deal with the bubble algae in my 16gal and he straight up attacked my Pompom crab! Tore off some legs and he lost his pompoms! Husband was able to save him and put him in the sump to recover but I still have not been able to find the jerk emerald to banish him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I found him today! Threw him into the display so hopefully the wrasse will eat him it the hermit crabs will arrack him.. Now I have to find my Pompom in the sump to put her back into the 16gal! Hopefully she will get her pompoms back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk