Derasa Clam Mouth Shut

Zwickm

I have a 4" Derasa clam that had been doing very well for the past couple months since i got it but recently has been keeping it's 'mouth' shut. It has not been opening to it's former width but is still mostly open (with closed mouth). This has been going on for about 6 days. There are no pyramid snails in the tank.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any recommendations on what to do?

*Also posted in emergency forum

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response!

48 LED array 6" above water in a 19" deep tank. Whites at 51% and blues at 66% intensity.

I started dosing BRS 2 part via a dosing pump about 2 weeks ago. I have been needing to adjust dosing to tune the levels. I aim for Ca 420 and dKH 9.5. It has been fluctuating between Ca 390-430 and dKH 8.7-10 while i've been trying to dial it in.

He is still firmly attached to the rock next to him and does respond to touch/movement but not so much to light fluctuation.

If it could be pinched mantel, what do you recommend? RO/DI dip? How long?

I actually don't know much about clams, but your answers to those questions will help someone who knows more than me.  I have a derasa that's been in my tank for about a year and is doing good.  I have heard that they can appear to be doing ok but actually slowly starving to death.

• Like 1

Hmmm good to know. I've been feeding phyto feast weekly to the clam using a syringe. Should I be doing more?

I attached a pic I just took. He looks better at the moment than he has recently but his mouth isn't fully open. He will begin to close a bit soon I'm sure.

Edited by Zwickm

My nitrate levels remain virtually undetectible...

Also, PO4 is at .04 or less

I have been adding phyto feast for clams once a week at night. Maybe I should direct feed him more than that?

Edited by Zwickm

Sure:

Copperband butterfly

Leopard wrasse

McCosker's Flasher wrasse

Yellow coris wrasse

Purple firefish

Royal gramma

Cleaner shrimp

Snails/hermits

Everyone "seems" peaceful and keeps to their own business but the copperband could be suspect... He picks around a lot.

I would certainly suspect the copperband...Especially from the description. Really not much you can do if this is the case. Before acting too quickly just watch him very close, pickers are easy to spot if you are looking...and patient.

Second suspect would be the leopard, though much less likely a suspect. I know they can flip the clam and eat the foot...which is obvious when it happens.

I've got an adult yellow coris and he doesnt pick at the clam...but I'm always a little nervous.

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

I had a copperbanded and for a week and that little bastard would nip my clams. It got to the point where I had to put a Tupperware over my clams to protect them. Clams stayed, fish went. My guess is it's the butterfly.

Alternatively it may be too much direct flow?

• 3 weeks later...

Found the problem. It is the copperband picking at him.

I put a piece of transparent mesh attached to acrylic rods above it, like a tent, so the copperband couldn't get to it and the clam opened back up to normal. Removed it for a couple days, closed up again. When added back, it's happy yet again.

Such a deliema since I can't bring myself to part with either. Maybe the tent will need to stay....

• 1 year later...