Brine shrimp hatchery

timmylucas

I was considering building one like this or buying one  because the shrimp separate from the eggs. If anyone has any diagrams or tips for hatching and separating eggs from the shrimp. Post below! ive been just using a bottle, airstone and light and it works just fine but I am curius to see everyones thoughts and designs.

images.jpg

If be curious to see if that style works as well as claimed. You saw mine, just using the standard SF bay hatchery base with a 2ltr on it. Works fine for me so far, just have to shut it off with lights out and wait for them to go to the bottom. I siphon through a brine net from eBay using the same air inlet tube.

Edited by Blue Z Reef

If be curious to see if that style works as well as claimed. You saw mine, just using the standard SF bay hatchery base with a 2ltr on it. Works fine for me so far, just have to shut it off with lights out and wait for them to go to the bottom. I siphon through a brine net from eBay using the same air inlet tube.

that setup above isnt the best because there is no aeration which I'm sure would affect the hatch rate. I was thinking about trying the eggs that are coated in some type of magnetic coating . I am unsure of the effects the coating could have on my corals. I know fish hatcheries use the magnetic eggs that they run through pvc with magnets to grab the eggs.

Thanks for your response!

The decapsulated eggs do sometimes have a higher hatch rate. And yes have less hydra, but don't usually last as long in storage.

One thing I noticed when I used them was they were much smaller than other brine shrimp that I had decapsulated myself. This may be good or bad depending on their intended use. The brand I used that came decapsulated were called E-Z eggs.

I have used pretty much every kind of hatchery and those were my least favorite. I like the upside down two liter method. I have even custom made larger versions up to 10+ gallons. It has always worked best for me

• Like 2

When I needed newly hatched brine shrimp every morning raising seahorse fry, I used two 2-liter soda bottles started on alternate mornings, Decapsulated eggs will start hatching at 80F in less than 12 hrs, and finish hatching in about 24 hrs. I used rigid airline tubing, rather than an airstone. Eggs circulate well without the foaming caused by airstones, and much easier to clean and reuse. I set the hatcheries standing in a plastic pan of water with a 50W submersible heater. San Francisco Bay nauplii are smaller than those hatched from eggs collected from Salt Lake, Utah.

All these methods of hatching work. It just depends on which one you prefer. :)

• Like 2