stores

talkalot82

A few years back I seem to recal there was store opening up that someone said I thought was two stories does anyone recall it?

Also what are some of the best reef stores in Oregon and where

its all about personal preference, but I like cuddle fish and coral:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually just did a LFS run yesterday. I went to C&C, Upscales and TPA.

#1 on my list is TPA mainly because they are the closet to me and the guys there are super awesome, helpful and good stuff there. Downside would have to be they don't get a whole lot of SPS.

#2 would be Upscales, because of the size and amount of "dry" goods and equipment. Only thing I found not a plus for me was that every tank had Pulsing Xenia covering everything, at least that's how it was when I went in.

#3 and only last on my list because of size and location was C&C. Their selection of SPS was amazing! Everything else looked really nice also. Size was a problem for me, I went there with my wife and two kids, there was only a couple other people in there and I felt cramped. It also took me 1/2 hour to find a parking spot not too far away. The local area also seemed fun for 21+ and no kids. 

Don't get me wrong with the negatives either, I would definitely go back to any of these shops again if in the area.

We have a couple other shops here in the Salem/Keizer area 

Aquatic Day Care ~ If they are there, they're helpful but more on the freshwater side.

The Coral Reef ~ Under new ownership, also just moved to a MUCH larger store.

Keizer's Tropical Fish & Aquariums ~ Nice guys, good size shop, good selection. Just very hot in there.

Upscales is my shop. It's been my shop ever since Waves closed, I've been to Upscales 9 outta 10 times I go to an LFS.. I like the people that work there (even if Barry is an A's fan), I get great advice I can trust when I need help, they get some incredible livestock. It just fits my needs perfectly.

That said if I'm in the area I will go to other stores. I really like Cuttlefish, he always has great stuff. TPA has some awesome stuff every time I've been in. Some of the guys there are great to chat with too. I stopped by OIAB a couple weeks ago and they had some great stuff. If you haven't been there in a year you won't even recognize it as the same place. We don't have the quantity of stores we used to have in the area (I think less then half from 10 years ago) but what we do have is certainly exceptional.

Super subjective and dependent on what you're into, what day you go, etc. All stores have pros and cons, but I usually find myself taking note of the cool fish at Ocean In a Box, colorful SPS and zoas at Cuttlefish, and drool-worthy LPS at Premium Aquarium and Upscales. They all have a nice selection of each, but I do find myself thinking of them as specializing in the areas that catch my attention most.

I've had the most informative and enjoyable conversations at Premium Aquarium and Upscales, which does make shopping in those stores more enjoyable. Wish PA wasn't so far away!

• Like 2

Even though I've moved away from Portland I want to chime in and say that each of the stores listed above offers something unique to the picture. Cuttlefish has beautiful fish with a great concept offering fish that are healthy and eating pellet food - taking the gamble out of wild caught specimen, Garrett at PA has an excellent variety on hand at all times and is a great person to deal with, OIAB is completely overhauled into a great fish store with competitive pricing but hands down for me, the clear winner is Upscales. Travis and crew have gone out of their way to offer high quality corals and fish that complete any hobbyists needs. Travis is a great person to deal with and will always take time to explain how to best take care of your critters.

I like both Ocean in a Box and CuttleFish.. I tend to go to Ocean in a Box since it is easier drive and parking. Plus I'm starting to get recognized when I go in monthly. Always greeted and any questions I might have, are answered. Jason is always willing to go out of his way to help me out no matter how silly or small it is with my tank.  So in the end I have to say #1 for me is Ocean in a Box. I will continue to do my business with him.

Edited by LadySaber

I think the store you are talking about was in downtown Albany. I have no idea what it was called but it did have 2 stories.

The local Portland/Vancouver stores are GREAT, but if you are talking about ALL of Oregon you have to include Reeftech down in Medford that list.

I think the store you are talking about was in downtown Albany. I have no idea what it was called but it did have 2 stories.

The local Portland/Vancouver stores are GREAT, but if you are talking about ALL of Oregon you have to include Reeftech down in Medford that list.

Is that really you??? I thought you disappeared

The place in Albany. All for fish. Now closed

C&c and premium aquarium are awesome shops. Because the owners and employees are good and knowledgeable. Critter cabana in wilsonville has a shockingly good selection of corals and even stock Apex and accessories....plus, the selection of other pets will keep your significant others attention whilst you geek out looking through 1000gallons of coral:)

• Like 1

C&c and premium aquarium are awesome shops. Because the owners and employees are good and knowledgeable. Critter cabana in wilsonville has a shockingly good selection of corals and even stock Apex and accessories....plus, the selection of other pets will keep your significant others attention whilst you geek out looking through 1000gallons of coral:)

I gotta check out critter cabana. I was there maybe a Month ago and there was no saltwater. I know you help out there now. Can you see if they can carry LRS fish and reef frenzy?

I gotta check out critter cabana. I was there maybe a Month ago and there was no saltwater. I know you help out there now. Can you see if they can carry LRS fish and reef frenzy?

Important to note: Coral and saltwater is only at new wilsonville store. The original location in Newberg has no salt.

Rods full line of foods, but no lrs:(

Important to note: Coral and saltwater is only at new wilsonville store. The original location in Newberg has no salt.

Rods full line of foods, but no lrs:(

Ahh gotcha. Didn't know there was a wilsonville store

I really only go to the Premium Aquarium in Salem anymore since Jason sold Coral Reef, Joel closed Waves, and Patrick no longer does Saltwater Fantaseas :dry:

Patrick still has a shop its in gresham and its only open on the weekends tough, It's called saltwater obsessions! Great shop and great guy! However Patrick is only there on Saturday. He just setup a new 200 gallon cube display and a new SPS system great stuff in there. Has just about anything you need pumps, heaters, bulbs, test kits and everyoned favorite livestock.