Apex!

Mitrillion

No do NOT buy the $100 wireless unit get a wifi access point or other form of device to connect the internet for a fraction of the price and stops you from using an available aqua bus as with the Jr you are limited. I personally am cautious of any wireless connections and their overall stability so i opted for a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUIY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

many others use the Netgear wireless access point that plugs in the wall.

As far as what you can do with an Apex theres many, I'm not going to go too far in detail as a google search will yield you everything you want to know. As for lights you will need a different module to control those (If they are compatible) unless its just simply turning on and off.

Edited by Exodus

This is what I have always used, works great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPBRRW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have the Kessil 160, you will need this to control it through an apex https://www.neptunesystems.com/led-dimming-module/and the appropriate cable for that light. 

The Jr. comes with a temp probe and in order to use any other probes such as PH, ORP, or salinity you will need a Pm1 or Pm2 module and the probe. 

I use a Jr. because I only need limited control but if you plan on building the Apex to monitor and control everything on the tank, look for a used full or Lite unit or buy new if you can afford it. 

I do agree with Matty in looking for a Used one 1st as its a cheaper route in the long run, but anyone watching forum classifieds knows those go within hours of listing. I really think you should visit the Apex forums and google search the functionality to see just how many possibilities there are, but also to take in account of what you have and what you can automate before the purchase though from the sounds of it, its a bit late for that. The standard Apex is nearly double the price and depending on your needs it may not be more cost effective at all, in example I use the Jr for my Nano, I really have no interest in Ph or Orp being constantly monitored but rather I find Salinity monitoring and a breakout box to suit my needs, and with no mechanical filtration in my system I don't even use all 4 plugs. I would have paid wwaaaayyyyy more going the standard Apex route, but depending on what you need it for will determine whether its cost effective or not.

• Like 1

Here is a post from Bingo1213 over at Nano-Reefs (King of Automation) explaining things he does with his Apex for an example:

"My apex shuts off my skimmer when it is full, I have used the breakout box to set up 3 different leak detectors in my sump that when they are triggered shut off the return and send texts (much cheaper than the leak detection modules!!!!), I have a float switch that shuts my return pump off if my HOB overflow clogs or looses its syphon, it runs my calcium reactor, it stops my ATO from sticking on, it tells me when my ATO container is empty, it runs my ATO, it doses my tank's vodka, it feeds my corals (I run a ULNS so feeding daily is important), it tells me if my stand doors are open (keeps kids safe), it changes the modes on my vortechs.  The list is endless I am sure there are things I have set mine up to do that I am forgetting, I have spent 2 years thinking of ways to add more to my APEX,"

Hopefully that gives you an Idea where to start :)

Here is a post from Bingo1213 over at Nano-Reefs (King of Automation) explaining things he does with his Apex for an example:

"My apex shuts off my skimmer when it is full, I have used the breakout box to set up 3 different leak detectors in my sump that when they are triggered shut off the return and send texts (much cheaper than the leak detection modules!!!!), I have a float switch that shuts my return pump off if my HOB overflow clogs or looses its syphon, it runs my calcium reactor, it stops my ATO from sticking on, it tells me when my ATO container is empty, it runs my ATO, it doses my tank's vodka, it feeds my corals (I run a ULNS so feeding daily is important), it tells me if my stand doors are open (keeps kids safe), it changes the modes on my vortechs. The list is endless I am sure there are things I have set mine up to do that I am forgetting, I have spent 2 years thinking of ways to add more to my APEX,"

So you think regular apex is a better route then the jr? I only have a small nano tho?

Hopefully that gives you an Idea where to start :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I am looking for is leak detection, control of heater, light, salinity, and ato when I get it! Can I rig up my apex to turn off a failing heater and turn a new one on? So there isn't a temp sway?

yeah a Jr, is not going to be what your wanting for all that. You at least need an 8 bar,  a breakout box, a PM2 module, and Conductivity probe just for what you listed. Leak detection can be done in a couple different ways with either the official ALD Module, and individual sensors or with the Breakout box setup with generic leak detectors

Edited by Exodus

yeah a Jr, is not going to be what your wanting for all that. You at least need an 8 bar, a breakout box, a PM2 module, and Conductivity probe just for what you listed. Leak detection can be done in a couple different ways with either the official ALD Module, and individual sensors or with the Breakout box setup with generic leak detectors

is there a cheaper route? A regular apex is gonna cost way to much for my buget!

I don't know of any cheaper solution that include the things your wanting it to do.. Leak detection and Temperature Sway are in no way necessary. Depending on your setup, just take a minute or two  when you tend to your tank to have a quick glance around. As for the temperature,  you can have the apex cut off the heater if it gets to warm, and send you a notification via text if it gets to cold; signaling you need a new heater. Many people don't even use heaters on their tanks as in the ocean the temperatures certainly do not stay constant. You might want to just get the Jr. or even a Regular Apex for now and consider the breakoutbox, PM2 & conductivity probe at a later date when you get the extra funds.

*edited because my grammar sucked on that one :laugh:

Edited by Exodus

I don't know of any cheaper solution that include the things your wanting it to do.. Leak detection and Temperature Sway are in no way necessary. Depending on your setup, just take a minute or two when you tend to your tank to have a quick glance around. As for the temperature, you can have the apex cut off the heater if it gets to warm, and send you a notification via text if it gets to cold; signaling you need a new heater. Many people don't even use heaters on their tanks as in the ocean the temperatures certainly do not stay constant. You might want to just get the Jr. or even a Regular Apex for now and consider the breakoutbox, PM2 & conductivity probe at a later date when you get the extra funds.

*edited because my grammar sucked on that one :laugh:

Ya! What do you think I need! Like light control, dosnt the jr come with leak control?

The apex is pretty darn flexible.  Reefkeeper is making ground with their new product, archon.  It shows allot of promise, BlueZReef has one.

If you are looking for a safe investment in a crazy flexible, well established, good resale controller, then you cannot go wrong with apex.

Start with a jr and add on over time, not a bad way to go.

You will love it.

I have allot more peace when away from the tank due to it.  APEX saved me a few times already from things I may not have noticed without it.

This apex might be a good deal, the display is overrated...  It will take you from 0-60 pretty fast in the controller world :)

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/33715-high-quality-equipment-fs-from-tank-tear-down/

Base price 500

Sell one eb8 - 80 dollars

Sell one lab grade ph probe - 30-40 dollars

New price 380-390 for a full apex after selling off extras.

Make him an offer, might save another 20-30 dollars.

Buy the PM1 and conductivity down the road, this is a great start!  The apex will grow as your system grows.

I had to buy in pieces, it is too big of a pill to swallow at once :)

Base price 500

Sell one eb8 - 80 dollars

Sell one lab grade ph probe - 30-40 dollars

New price 380-390 for a full apex after selling off extras.

Make him an offer, might save another 20-30 dollars.

Buy the PM1 and conductivity down the road, this is a great start! The apex will grow as your system grows.

I had to buy in pieces, it is too big of a pill to swallow at once :)

he said 400 with out the extra energy bar, but that's still way to much for me! Isn't the jr the same thing? But without the big energy bar? It's just really expensive! Lol but what else in this hobby isn't