Bayer Advanced for coral dipping

reefnjunkie

As many are aware Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (concentrate) has proven itself to be one of (if not the best IMO) the best dips for SPS, Zoas and whatever else you'd dip to eradicate pests.

The process is quite simple you take 1cup of tank water and add 5-10 mls of Bayer and dip 10-15 minutes. It best to use a turkey baster or something to help blow pests from coral.

Once time is rinse coral in tank water extremely well and maybe even a second rinse in tank water to be safe.

I personally move all frags from one plastic tube that has the solution to a second tub with tank water at the the end of 15 minutes and use a baster to blow off the frags, colonies or whatever is being dipped. Once they are rinsed well I will sometimes rinse a second time in a bucket just shaking the frag back and forth before placing it back in the frags tank.

This is an out of tank treatment ONLY.

Bayer is EXTREMELY gentle on all acros, I inadvertently had a frag fall off a rack and sit in the solution for nearly 8 hours-it was a little stressed and after about a month you'd never know it happened-try that with any dip and see what happens.

Home Depot is discontinuing carrying it and have it clearance priced at under 10.00 a bottle down from nearly 13.00. You should pick some up while it's cheap-unfortunately if you live near the Minter Bridge HD in Hillsboro no need going, I picked up the last 12 bottles :)

Happy dipping

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing! HD continuing? They must have found out it didn't kill bees. :sarcasm:

I have contacted HomeDepot, and asked the reasoning behind their discontinuation of this product. I will post my findings.

Edited by JManrow

I'm sure they are discontinuing it-I saw it reduced a few months back and then it disappeared from the rack as a stocked item. You'll find it (if they have it) on an end cap. Most stores Ive been into don't have any so when I saw them I sucked em up.

and yes, I am a hoarder-I buy super glue gel from the dollar tree 20 packs at a time, red epoxy -I always reorder when I'm down to 3 tubes (I like to stock around 6-8 tubes) I buy frag plugs 300 at a time and I like to keep at least 4 (soon to be 6 ) "frag tanks" salt, 6-10 cases at a whack

What can I say, I hate to run out of stuff

But back to the topic-

I've also seen it carried at Ace Hardware-same ~13.00 per bottle so I wouldn't go stock up unless you're a hoarder ;)

• Like 1

I'm sure they are discontinuing it-I saw it reduced a few months back and then it disappeared from the rack as a stocked item. You'll find it (if they have it) on an end cap. Most stores Ive been into don't have any so when I saw them I sucked em up.

and yes, I am a hoarder-I buy super glue gel from the dollar tree 20 packs at a time, red epoxy -I always reorder when I'm down to 3 tubes (I like to stock around 6-8 tubes) I buy frag plugs 300 at a time and I like to keep at least 4 (soon to be 6 ) "frag tanks" salt, 6-10 cases at a whack

But back to the topic-

I've also seen it carried at Ace Hardware-same ~13.00 per bottle so I wouldn't go stock up unless you're a hoarder ;)

This all sounds so familiar, I can't stand running out of things either. Shelves and shelves of fish\coral related things. 

I guess I will be going out to snag some more coral dip too, thanks for the heads up man.

But back to the topic-

what frag plugs do you use and find them cheap at lol :nutty:

thanks for the info I needed dip AND am so gonna do this now!!

They stopped selling it for awhile and are discontinuing it I assume due to it being really bad for bees.

I posted something about this before the site crashed. I knew this was coming. I was warning people to stock up on it because I figured they would do away with it

what frag plugs do you use and find them cheap at lol :nutty:

thanks for the info I needed dip AND am so gonna do this now!!

Google alternative reef micro plugs- I get mine from Jeff at Cuttlefishandcorals

I guess while I'm out tomorrow I'll hit a few more Home Depots and see if I can find more at the clearance price.

For anyone not wanting to drive Amazon has free ship

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advanced-Complete-Concentrate-40-Ounce/dp/B001DKEOK8

Looks like you need to buy 3 bottles for free ship

Edited by reefnjunkie
  • Like 1

Google alternative reef micro plugs- I get mine from Jeff at Cuttlefishandcorals

I guess while I'm out tomorrow I'll hit a few more Home Depots and see if I can find more at the clearance price.

For anyone not wanting to drive Amazon has free ship

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advanced-Complete-Concentrate-40-Ounce/dp/B001DKEOK8

Looks like you need to buy 3 bottles for free ship

ya but like ones you can cut off the stem? so its flat ?

so this isn't safe to dip corals in???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe his comment is a personal feeling-

It's absolutely safe-this is probably a great time to mention never take what is read as the gospel, take all the information that can be found and then do research to see if there is enough information to support whatever it is being claimed or suggested

• Like 1

so this isn't safe to dip corals in???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything you use is not going to be completely safe but in my experience it is worth the risk. If you don't dip you may end up losing all of your corals to some sort of infection. I have had monti eating nudibranchs and that was much more disastrous than losing any coral that I dipped too aggressively.

Again good information Brad and I would have hoarder tendencies too but I just can't stand having a lots of boxes and I don't have a garage so I have to keep my tendencies in check! :)