Show Us Your Calcium Reactor Setup

TheClark

• 1 month later...

Well I guess I am finally in 'Club Calcium Reactor' too! Where can I get a nice logo for that for the sig? :)

5lb Co2
8 watt submersible pump feed
Single Chamber
DIY degassing cup
No flow meter
Reborn media
APEX

Crash Prevention:

APEX monitor effluent PH and Tank PH.
APEX keeps media in 6.7-6.8 range
If tank PH is low, turn off Co2 solenoid, text me
If tank PH is very low, turn off reactor feed pump (this is why I have a separate feed), text me

Reactor was 80 bucks, feel it was a score. Co2 was 40 bucks also a score. Went with a cheap regulator, solenoid, needle valve combo off of amazon. 85 bucks, so far so good.

Used this calculator to dial in the amount of effluent / Co2 while switching over from 2 part
http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html

Currently at 100 mls/minute effluent, effluent alk is 12.15

Reactor
f4272725e5d2fd31d9f455a073672004.jpg

Regulator
7e2290d273f30642743de42bc5003598.jpg

DIY Degassing Cup
8d92851ff8c70fd3012916efc504e2f5.jpg

Edited by theclark

Good questions!  I am the absolute example of a CR noobie, but will share what I have heard during research and asking questions.

I picked the degassing tip from Charles WannaReef.  He has a cool little probe / degassing chamber built out of PVC and acrylic.  (I have a not so cool one built out of a plastic measuring cup).

COOL VERSION:

IMG_6558_1.jpg

Long term, since I don't have a probe slot in my reactor, I would like to add a probe inline on the effluent like ReefNJunkie

IMG_7244_zpsu2j1hmwc.jpg

Lastly, I hope to run a second chamber down the road to do further Co2 degassing although many say it is not necessary.

Those are the plans so far.  Always glad to have a reef project to work on  :applause:  :D

• Like 1

Ya, I need to tap a hole in my lid, that looks like a good way to go.  

Nice big regulator, looks like a keeper.

I see you run a second chamber, that is the route I sure want to go in the future.

Love your needle valve, hard to accidentally bump and change especially if the allen wrench is removed.  

That is my biggest vacation fear so far, walking someone through troubleshooting and they bump it :)

What type of media do you run?  Do you run neo-mag or dolomite for mag?

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by theclark

I run a secondary chamber, but it's effectivness is questionable. I've got an upflow reactor, with a c02 recirculating loop, so there is no reason for second chamber. The whole concept there is the older design downflow reactors pumped c02 out the top and into the tank. That doesn't happen with these.

I run Fauna Marin UltraMag for magnesium and TLF Reborn media. The magnesium is not very effective at all, unless you mix it 100% with the regular media. Still maybe 10-30%, but it's got to be in the mix because it breaks down at the same ph as the reactor media.

Your reactor is a downflow though, so a second chamber is not a bad idea. I built my own from Avast Marine, Ultra affordable and simple

Thanks Bill, yes mine is a downflow and the Co2 input and the effluent out line are right next to each other.  

I do drip 2 gallons of saturated kalk per day for that last couple of months (peristaltic doser, not ATO).  Even with the Kalk PH is down about .2 from normal in day 1 of operation.  

Not a PH chaser, but I do read the articles that talk about high O2 directly correlated to better growth, so it might be handy to knock off some of that CO2.

Good discussion thanks everyone.

I have my reactor draining right next to the intake for the protein skimmer, then it goes through the fuge, then to the return pump, in hopes of helping it out a bit.

I'm still brand new at the reactor setup as well so this has been a great thread for me too. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm wonder were he got that idea LOL

I know when I upgraded to a larger reactor it came with a second chamber which may help the 1500 gallon tank rating but just the change in the reactor has allowed me to adjust my effluent PH to sit around 6.96 and at level it maintains a KH of 8.24

WhenI have the GEO 624 I had to run the effluent PH closer to 6.5 and even then it didn't keep up with the demand hence the larger reactor. The current one is MRC dual 818, 1st "chamber" holds the exact volume as the GEO (144 sq inches of media) so the second chamber is doing something.

My PH has increased slightly as a result but I still see lows at night in the 7.95 with day highs maybe 8.25-that's just becuase I have the garage door open for cooling, in the winter its 7.65 night and 7.95 day.

I have to believe corals adapt, I've got no issues with lack of SPS growth due to low PH-but that's just my hunch

• Like 1