The Moloko Multi-Tank System

maxicurls

When I opened Moloko in the Summer of 2006, I wanted there to be some water incorporated into the design of the place.  I'm pretty skeptical of a lot of the ideas around Feng Shui, but I do think that water has a genuine & immediate relaxing effect. Cocktail lounges are, at their best, relaxing places... Relaxing places where there is the possibility for occasional & intermittent excitement.

My initial shot at incorporating water into the bar was placing these silly acrylic fishbowls on the wall, with one tiny little minnow - whatever the girl at the wet spot thought was my best bet for a fishbowl - in each.

fishbowls_zpsxuldqmpp.jpg

After a couple years, I was bored & annoyed with the fishbowls & started exploring other options.  At first I thought about a vertical goldfish column tank. Then, while I was researching more "normal" tanks, I discovered reef tanks, & I was amazed. 

In the Spring & Summer of 2009 I installed the first 3 tanks at Moloko, a 130, a 70 gallon hex, & a standard Marineland 150.  Those are the tanks you see on our website (currently in the process of being updated) molokopdx.com.  About 2 years ago, I added a 120 gallon half cylinder, and about 1 year ago, I added a 210 gallon peninsula SPS tank.  These tanks all share a central sump & equipment in the basement, for a combined total volume of just over 1000 gallons, currently.  I have tons of respect for you who accomplish the tasks of filtration, circulation, & water treatment in a small space below your tank at a noise level that allows you to peacefully watch movies & sleep at night.  I have never done that.  

Shortly after I installed the half cylinder a couple years ago, I had a velvet outbreak that killed all but a few of my fish, while casting about foolishly for "reef-safe cures" killed a lot of my coral.  By that time I had a fish & coral collection that had taken almost 5 years & many thousands of dollars to build.  It was heartbreaking, & the few fish that survived & are still with me from the prior era hold a special place in my heart.  

What I'll be posting in this thread is my current point in the process of rebuilding from that event. 

IMG_7881_zpsqxbddvos.jpg

Edited by pledosophy
Filter Error
  • Like 4

Thanks for posting this. I have heard good things about your restaurant! One day I will go see it! Sorry to hear about your tank crash! That is heartbreaking to lose so many fish and nice corals. It just feels like a part of you goes with them. Props to you for learning from it and not giving up! I see so many unhealthy fish in displays like at Rainforest cafe and the tangs with hlle. It's nice to see an owner who is invested in the hobby! ????

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I have heard good things about your restaurant! One day I will go see it! Sorry to hear about your tank crash! That is heartbreaking to lose so many fish and nice corals. It just feels like a part of you goes with them. Props to you for learning from it and not giving up! I see so many unhealthy fish in displays like at Rainforest cafe and the tangs with hlle. It's nice to see an owner who is invested in the hobby!

Thanks Kim!

I've always wanted to see the sump setup you have there.

There are a couple of fairly large pieces of equipment, & a fair amount of chaos.  I'm not super organized.  :)

I'll try to clean it up a little & take some pics that don't look too dungeon-y.

For now, here's a foxface doing a flip!

image7_zpsmcsfgrir.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...