Fish deases

Mitrillion

Either a qt or a hospital tank, but you need to have one.  You cannot treat fish in the main tank as most meds are harmful to inverts and coral.  For 50 bucks you can have a complete 10 gal setup that will work perfect for a hospital tank. All you need is tank, cheap hob filter, heater, thermometer, that's it. I believe walmart sells a complete setup like that for around 50. I leave tank completely bare and can set it up quickly if needs be.  I use basic IO salt, not reef salt and cover the tank with a towel or whatnot to make it as stress free as I can.  Then you treat with whatever you think you need to treat the fish for.  If it requires diff meds you can add carbon to HOB filter to filter out chemicals and treat with other meds.  Trust me, a 10 gal is all most people need as most don't have HUGE fish like sharks etc. and less water means less meds and money being spent.  DONT forget carbon takes meds out of water, so make sure that the cheap HOB filter you buy doesn't have the filters with the carbon already in the filter.  Look for the ones that you must manually add the carbon into the filter.  Or just buy some filter floss etc and don't worry about their filters, but that seems dumb when you can easily find HOB without the carbon in the filter.  I believe mine is a whisper cheap $12-15 HOB that is perfect.   

my two cents

Either a qt or a hospital tank, but you need to have one. You cannot treat fish in the main tank as most meds are harmful to inverts and coral. For 50 bucks you can have a complete 10 gal setup that will work perfect for a hospital tank. All you need is tank, cheap hob filter, heater, thermometer, that's it. I believe walmart sells a complete setup like that for around 50. I leave tank completely bare and can set it up quickly if needs be. I use basic IO salt, not reef salt and cover the tank with a towel or whatnot to make it as stress free as I can. Then you treat with whatever you think you need to treat the fish for. If it requires diff meds you can add carbon to HOB filter to filter out chemicals and treat with other meds. Trust me, a 10 gal is all most people need as most don't have HUGE fish like sharks etc. and less water means less meds and money being spent. DONT forget carbon takes meds out of water, so make sure that the cheap HOB filter you buy doesn't have the filters with the carbon already in the filter. Look for the ones that you must manually add the carbon into the filter. Or just buy some filter floss etc and don't worry about their filters, but that seems dumb when you can easily find HOB without the carbon in the filter. I believe mine is a whisper cheap $12-15 HOB that is perfect.

my two cents

ok so how long do I need to keep the fish in there!? And won't it have to be cycled tank? How do I go about doing that? Do I need live rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use a sponge filter that has been kept at least a couple of weeks in a sump or overflow chamber. That would give you an established tank. I can even buy a new one and bring you my established sponge filter. I probably even have a spare air pump laying around. 3 weeks in quarantine are usually recommended. Some cut PVC pieces usually work for the fish having a place to hide and feel secure.See you Sunday at the Meet & Greet!  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

sponge_zpsnxon3jgu.jpg

If you use a sponge filter that has been kept at least a couple of weeks in a sump or overflow chamber. That would give you an established tank. I can even buy a new one and bring you my established sponge filter. I probably even have a spare air pump laying around. 3 weeks in quarantine are usually recommended. Some cut PVC pieces usually work for the fish having a place to hide and feel secure.See you Sunday at the Meet & Greet! http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

sponge_zpsnxon3jgu.jpg

I was told I can't go, because it's at a bar unless u guys want to sneak me in lol jk

I was told I can't go, because it's at a bar unless u guys want to sneak me in lol jk

Mitchell, I spoke with Christian, the owner of Moloko, and they do allow minors for special occasions. They will have a name tag for you. If your parents would like to talk to them, they may be reached at (503) 288-6272.

Mitchell, I spoke with Christian, the owner of Moloko, and they do allow minors for special occasions. They will have a name tag for you. If your parents would like to talk to them, they may be reached at (503) 288-6272.

alright sounds good! Thanks :)

Jmanrow is spot on with a qt. However, I use a hospital tank and have never had a fish die with proper meds. I lost my first clown due to intestinal parasites within 24 hrs because I didn't have proper meds which was prazipro. That was my lesson learned.. Saltwater fish take a nose dive quick and you need to make sure u can treat them quickly. As far as cycle, never had a problem because I treat them not quarantine and they are not in my hospital tank longer than what is recommended for whatever disease they have. Which at max would be 2 weeks. With such a small amount of water however and depending on size of fish you might need to consider a sponge or something that contains some beneficial bacteria. Again, u only are treating a fish or two and just need to chek for ammonia/nitrates. With natural evaporation and possibly a small water change, you will within a week or so be adding fresh water to tank, which I have found was more than enough to never see any traces of ammonia etc. Here is all the chemicals I believe is needed to pretty much cover ur bases on anytype of disease you likely to encounter. f8ca46250aa847fe09991ab3635b7284.jpg hope this helps and gives you more options. It all depends on your needs and what u feel is the best.

• Like 1

A hospital tank and qt tank is almost the same tank. The qt tank is for when you first recieve the new addition. Some people start treating the fish and others treat as need. The hospital tank is for the fish that gets sick that is in your display tank already. The hospital tank is to treat that one sick fish without harming the invertabrates. You can use the hospital tank as your qt. You just cannot have new fish share the same tank with knew diseased fish (fish from display tank tank). Clean tank as needed and run carbon to remove meds.

A hospital tank and qt tank is almost the same tank. The qt tank is for when you first recieve the new addition. Some people start treating the fish and others treat as need. The hospital tank is for the fish that gets sick that is in your display tank already. The hospital tank is to treat that one sick fish without harming the invertabrates. You can use the hospital tank as your qt. You just cannot have new fish share the same tank with knew diseased fish (fish from display tank tank). Clean tank as needed and run carbon to remove meds.

thanks! Carbon pads? Is there a way to know when all the mess are used?

You can always keep the hospital/ qt running or do as jmanrow said with the sponge. I keep my qt/hospital tank empty but i keep a sponge in my sump at all times. I also use some of my main tank water To fill the qt/hospital tank. I have never used carbon pads, so i do not know if you have to change it more often. Use the carbon after you finish treating the fish. Run the carbon for a few days and do a water change. Keep the fish in that tank for a week or more After treatment. THis is how i would handle it. I have been lucky and have not needed to treat a fish. I have quarantine fish before.

@reefnjunkie- yes I do not quarantine my new arrivals. I dip coral and place in tank and I drip fish and place in tank.  Is it a gamble? sometimes as I showed by having a clown die within a couple days of purchase. But like I posted earlier, it was because I couldn't get the meds he needed and had to order it online as none of the LFS carried it, along with thinking he was just skinny from being in the store and I would fatten him up. Stupid mistake and why you should only buy fish that are plump. If in doubt don't buy!! 

If I suspect a fish is sick, I immediately, if I don't know the disease, google to find out what most likely it has and treat only for that.  The less meds the better I always say, as they are rough on the poor buggers. I have been very successful with the way I treat and like most of us, when I turn on the lights I look around and try to find all my fishes etc. I have learned a lot as I will tell you and rarely if ever have had to use my hospital tank. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

When I first started keeping fish 15 yrs ago, I bought a 10 gal tank and proceeded to stock the crap out of it and killed them all. It was one of the saddest things I have witnessed.  I was at a lose at what to do and watched slowly as one by one they succumbed to disease. After that I vowed to learn, mind you this was before internet was everywhere, so I went down to the library and grabbed every fish book I could find and have been successful at keeping fish since that time. Its a hard lesson that I hope our friend here Mitrillion, with our help, will avoid. 

Do I make mistakes? yup, I just told everyone my first freshwater mistake and then my first saltwater mistake.  Will I make more, yup and it will always be hard on animal lovers like me.

@MiTrillion- carbon is only needed to remove meds like eclipse522 said, if you buy a HOB filter like I recommended earlier it should come with little packages of carbon. Just pour that into your filter pad when ready to remove meds and yes I would monitor for a few days at least before putting back into display tank, or you will have to fight to fish him back out and start the process all over again. 

whew don't blame you guys if you don't read all that haha!!

@reefnjunkie- yes I do not quarantine my new arrivals. I dip coral and place in tank and I drip fish and place in tank. Is it a gamble? sometimes as I showed by having a clown die within a couple days of purchase. But like I posted earlier, it was because I couldn't get the meds he needed and had to order it online as none of the LFS carried it, along with thinking he was just skinny from being in the store and I would fatten him up. Stupid mistake and why you should only buy fish that are plump. If in doubt don't buy!!

If I suspect a fish is sick, I immediately, if I don't know the disease, google to find out what most likely it has and treat only for that. The less meds the better I always say, as they are rough on the poor buggers. I have been very successful with the way I treat and like most of us, when I turn on the lights I look around and try to find all my fishes etc. I have learned a lot as I will tell you and rarely if ever have had to use my hospital tank. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

When I first started keeping fish 15 yrs ago, I bought a 10 gal tank and proceeded to stock the crap out of it and killed them all. It was one of the saddest things I have witnessed. I was at a lose at what to do and watched slowly as one by one they succumbed to disease. After that I vowed to learn, mind you this was before internet was everywhere, so I went down to the library and grabbed every fish book I could find and have been successful at keeping fish since that time. Its a hard lesson that I hope our friend here Mitrillion, with our help, will avoid.

Do I make mistakes? yup, I just told everyone my first freshwater mistake and then my first saltwater mistake. Will I make more, yup and it will always be hard on animal lovers like me.

@MiTrillion- carbon is only needed to remove meds like eclipse522 said, if you buy a HOB filter like I recommended earlier it should come with little packages of carbon. Just pour that into your filter pad when ready to remove meds and yes I would monitor for a few days at least before putting back into display tank, or you will have to fight to fish him back out and start the process all over again.

whew don't blame you guys if you don't read all that haha!!

I read it all! So u just have a hospital ready if you need it! I like that Idea it puts less stress on the fish!