Stocking the tank

Mitrillion

Ok so as most of you know I have a 38 gallon nuvo and I was thinking I nred to get some new fish! I have 2 black ice clown in there now! I really like fire fish(purple ones) and I love tangs! I was thinking a yellow? What would be good for cleaning pests like frag fish post?! I want a good variety that are all reef safe and have a job in the tank!

Love purple firefish, great choice!  They are jumpers, so be sure to keep a lid on it.

Tangs are tough in that sized tank.

Banggai Cardinals are fun.

Yellow Coris wrasse or six line is good for pests.  Six lines can be bullies though.

I like royal grammas too, they work well in that setup.

You have allot of great options going forward.

Love purple firefish, great choice! They are jumpers, so be sure to keep a lid on it.

Tangs are tough in that sized tank.

Banggai Cardinals are fun.

Yellow Coris wrasse or six line is good for pests. Six lines can be bullies though.

I like royal grammas too, they work well in that setup.

You have allot of great options going forward.

the reason I ask about the yellow tang is because I've seen people with them in smaller sized tanks and I know they are great algea cleaners! Dang I really wanted one, yellow eye kole tang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion you should buy fish you can keep for their life span but I know others don't agree, it's all personal choice. I used to have a kole tang in my 40 breeder and I saw the aggression he displayed from being in a smaller tank. Mandarins can be put in less aged systems if you can find one that is eating prepared foods.

• Like 1

yellow corris wrasse.

small and wild caught.

In a tank that small, fish that have a job to do(eating pests) and look pretty cool are what I would be after. The corris wrasse is a model reef citizen usually, and is a good choice. Other wrasses to consider would be a 6-line, or even some fairy wrasses.

I'd definitely stay away from hawk fish, as they will eat your inverts...and inverts in that size tank are just way too cool to forget about:)

You can have as many tangs as you want...in your next tank:)

Edited by Mandinga

yellow corris wrasse.

small and wild caught.

In a tank that small, fish that have a job to do(eating pests) and look pretty cool are what I would be after. The corris wrasse is a model reef citizen usually, and is a good choice. Other wrasses to consider would be a 6-line, or even some fairy wrasses.

I'd definitely stay away from hawk fish, as they will eat your inverts...and inverts in that size tank are just way too cool to forget about:)

You can have as many tangs as you want...in your next tank:)

thank you, I like your idea with the wrasses, what type of fairy! I new you guys would kill my tang dream:(!!! Tangs are probably my favorite fish !!!

In my opinion you should buy fish you can keep for their life span but I know others don't agree, it's all personal choice. I used to have a kole tang in my 40 breeder and I saw the aggression he displayed from being in a smaller tank. Mandarins can be put in less aged systems if you can find one that is eating prepared foods.

what tang did u try to keep in a breader?!

I feel bad for fish when they are in too small of a tank. I think you should heed the warning of those on the forum and stray away from tangs, as pretty as they can be. In the long run they probably wouldn't be as happy.

Clams can be pesky. If you still have the skye light that comes with the 38 gal Nuvo I would argue that there isn't enough light to support a healthy clam, at the bottom of the tank. It would have to be straight and center. One of my friends has a NUVO and they might debate that their light is bad. I would argue that the depth of the tanks isn't conducive to having good light penetration with such a low intensity light. So think about it. Clams are expensive and can die super easy. Once they start going it is usually game over. 

I feel bad for fish when they are in too small of a tank. I think you should heed the warning of those on the forum and stray away from tangs, as pretty as they can be. In the long run they probably wouldn't be as happy.

Clams can be pesky. If you still have the skye light that comes with the 38 gal Nuvo I would argue that there isn't enough light to support a healthy clam, at the bottom of the tank. It would have to be straight and center. One of my friends has a NUVO and they might debate that their light is bad. I would argue that the depth of the tanks isn't conducive to having good light penetration with such a low intensity light. So think about it. Clams are expensive and can die super easy. Once they start going it is usually game over.

no I don't have that crapy light lol! I have a kessil a160 ! Still thoughts on having clams?

Think about how clams taste? They are delicious! Many fish and inverts feel the same way. Your light will support a clam, and if your parameters are stable, the clan will be fine… unless it gets eaten...unless it gets eaten by you, a friend, a shrimp, or a fish!

Edited by Mandinga

Think about how clams taste? They are delicious! Many fish and inverts feel the same way. Your light will support a clam, and if your parameters are stable, the clan will be fine… unless it gets eaten...unless it gets eaten by you, a friend, a shrimp, or a fish!

what fish and inverts eat clams?!

idk what person would eat a 100$ clam lol? I for sure ain't!