Frag Fish

Gil&Fin

What are you using to keep your frag tank algae/pest-free?  I want a fish that can get the algae between the egg crate grates, won't jump (good luck with that...), is relatively small, and won't hurt my corals (duh).  Thoughts?

This is for my smaller, 15 gallon frag tank.  It is shallow--maybe 7" deep.  I have a lawnmower in my big frag tank but he's huge, maybe 4".  I love his little grumpy-face.  But I need something smaller.  I tried a couple of black mollies but they are so lazy that the algae grows on them.  Is there a smaller blenny you'd suggest?

There would be no tangs that would work out in such a small tank.

And the wrasse and the springers damsels are for pest control, not sure if you were wanting remedies for such hitchhikers.

You may have to stick with inverts and a bicolor blenny.

Edited by badxgillen

I have found that Sailfin Mollies (Poecilia latipinna) are far better algae eaters than the common sphenops variety. They love hair algae. I have seen them grow over 5" in length in the Gulf estuaries and roadside ditches down in Texas. When the males are ready to spawn, the colors are absolutely beautiful in the wild silver variety, in my opinion. Give them a try. Sailfins are not as common, but LFS like World of Wet Pets in Beaverton can order them for you if they are not in stock. I have read P. velifera are a larger species, growing to 6 or 7".  P. velifera has 18-19 dorsal fin rays, while P. latipinna has only 14.

Sailfin Molly (Poecilia latipinna)

sailfin%20molly_zpsakdfpzjb.jpg       

Giant Sailfin Molly (Poecilia velifera )          velifera3-450x300_zpsmvzqm1cg.jpg

Edited by JManrow
  • Like 2