Is Anyone making their own dosing supplements?

Mandinga

Is anyone mixing their own calcium and/or alkalinity solutions for dosing?

If so, where are you getting the materials?

I know baking soda can be used for the alkalinity(baked in oven), and I have heard Dow flakes for calcium...

Also, does anyone have a link to a calculator that would show the amount needed for dosing? Would the BRS calculator work(since they are not adding any additional chemicals to their powders).

I use straight up baking soda, and feed grade calcium chloride bought from Concentrates in Clackamas, mixed up according to the Randy Holmes-Farley articles, and dosed according to the numbers here:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I understand using the feed grade CaCl might scare some people, but it seems to be working fine so far.

Unless that was secretly why my tank crashed recently.... Hmmmmm

Edited by SeanS
  • Like 1

I use baking soda for alk (get a big bag from Costco for like 8 bucks). I then use Prestone Driveway Heat for calcium (get it at Auto Zone for cheap). Then for magnesium I use epsom salt and magnesium chloride from Dead sea works (the latter has since gone up in price). Basically I just do the Randy recipe as far as DIY.

• Like 1

I use baking soda for alk (get a big bag from Costco for like 8 bucks). I then use Prestone Driveway Heat for calcium (get it at Auto Zone for cheap). Then for magnesium I use epsom salt and magnesium chloride from Dead sea works (the latter has since gone up in price). Basically I just do the Randy recipe as far as DIY.

Ditto...But I also have a few other additives such as Iodine, Fuel, and strontium.

Edited by badxgillen

Thanks! Nice call on Costco for baking soda...all the stores I went to had small boxes.

On the prestone product I wonder what the calcium content is? And the impurities?

I looked at that calculator(thanks SeanS), but how accurate is that thing? I think it lists Randy's recipe and Dow flake(based on 80% purity) for calcium, but I thought Randy's recipe was the dow flake? I have read the article like three times and it still isn't making total sense...I'll try again.

The beauty of Randy's recipe is that, as long as you mix it according to instructions, you dose the same amount of both alk and calc. Makes it simple.

That is nice!

So I'm missing the recipe...but I do recall the calcification chemical reaction in corals is one ion of calcium and two ions of Alk carbonate .

So the recipe must compensate for this during the mix. Hmmmm

Edited by Mandinga

Dow flake is calcium chloride dihydrate, which requires 2.5 cups per gallon. Prestone Driveway Heat is calcium chloride monohydrate which has less water (more concentrated). Therefore it would only require 2 cups per gallon.

I wouldn't worry about impurities too much because the product is straight calcium chloride. Not to mention the product has been used extensively for years and there is yet to be any significant reasons to discredit it.

Can someone post the recipe? This is way cheaper then to part! Do u guys think two part is better for coral health?

This is two part. It's just using a DIY recipe instead of buying store products.

Google Randy's Two part recipe and you'll find it. It takes a bit of reading to properly understand initially, but in the end, it's quite simple.

This is two part. It's just using a DIY recipe instead of buying store products.

Google Randy's Two part recipe and you'll find it. It takes a bit of reading to properly understand initially, but in the end, it's quite simple.

is it better then 2 part ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it better then 2 part ?

I think you're missing my point. This IS two part. Two part means that you are dosing separate alkalinity and calcium supplements. Technically there's three parts including magnesium, but the process is just called two part dosing. There are several different ways to dose alkalinity and calcium, the way we are discussing is just one. Buying the products from the store is another.

Well, apparently DOW flake is out of the picture now...their current product has bromine as an impurity...yikes.

RAndys old recipe needs a warning label!

I guess a lot of people use Leslie's pool supply calcium up...

Any other options out there besides these two that people are using?

I think you're missing my point. This IS two part. Two part means that you are dosing separate alkalinity and calcium supplements. Technically there's three parts including magnesium, but the process is just called two part dosing. There are several different ways to dose alkalinity and calcium, the way we are discussing is just one. Buying the products from the store is another.

like is there a difference from buying from the store and making your own?!

Can someone post the recipe? This is way cheaper then to part! Do u guys think two part is better for coral health?

You may need to read it a few time, but it really is simple. The hardest part is probably mixing the Magnesium Chloride, as it lumps together sometimes and get hot. Just take your time with it.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part

Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

Reef Calculator for Dosing 

http://reef.diesyst.com/cf/chemcalccf.html

like is there a difference from buying from the store and making your own?!

Making your own saves money. If you are unsure of what kind on Magnesium or Calcium ice melter to buy, you can get very good quality reef chemicals from Aquafx  http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/Complete-Nutrient-Package-_p_175.html or Bulk Reef Supply.  http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/calcium-alkalinity-trace-elements.html

Making your own saves money. If you are unsure of what kind on Magnesium or Calcium ice melter to buy, you can get very good quality reef chemicals from Aquafx http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/Complete-Nutrient-Package-_p_175.html or Bulk Reef Supply. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/calcium-alkalinity-trace-elements.html

thanks! What was that Zoa u gave me at Scott filmans?

I looked at that calculator(thanks SeanS), but how accurate is that thing? I think it lists Randy's recipe and Dow flake(based on 80% purity) for calcium, but I thought Randy's recipe was the dow flake? I have read the article like three times and it still isn't making total sense...I'll try again.

You are right, there are a number of variables that keep the calculator from being completely accurate. For example, who actually knows the true water volume of their system?

It will get you in the right ballpark, then it is just testing and tweaking until it gets dialed in.

A word of caution, if you end up using calcium chloride monohydrate, it is best to mix it in an open container such as a bucket. The solution gets incredibly hot, and if you mix directly in a gallon jug, there is nowhere for the heat to escape.

Watching a too hot to touch jug of liquid sag and threaten to burst is a bit disconcerting.

• Like 2

A word of caution, if you end up using calcium chloride monohydrate, it is best to mix it in an open container such as a bucket. The solution gets incredibly hot, and if you mix directly in a gallon jug, there is nowhere for the heat to escape.

Watching a too hot to touch jug of liquid sag and threaten to burst is a bit disconcerting.

Sounds like a fun science experiment:)

• Like 1

Using 1 Gallon Milk jugs are only good for short term use. They are food grade, but I have had them start leaking after a couple of months use.

Buy some 1 gallon HDPE High Density Plastic Jugs from TAP Plastics or online. They don't leak and are chemical resistant. Well worth the $3 or $4.

• Like 1

Can't really add to the discussion since I bought 5 gal buckets of BRS 2 part, going to last years but I did read one of my spa/pool chemicals I paid $10+ for "Sodium Bicarbonate"   lol

I do mix mine up in 2 gal buckets from Home Depot in the winter then switch to 5 gal buckets just outside the tank room spring through fall

Can't really add to the discussion since I bought 5 gal buckets of BRS 2 part, going to last years but I did read one of my spa/pool chemicals I paid $10+ for "Sodium Bicarbonate" lol

I do mix mine up in 2 gal buckets from Home Depot in the winter then switch to 5 gal buckets just outside the tank room spring through fall

I thought you were in the good ol boys calcium reactor club? You dose that big tank? And the 5-gallons will last you years? Man, I probably just need to pony up $150 and bite the bullet.