What has a stronger sting?

YUP

Sorry for pic quality, only have my phone for pics. Also, what I forgot to add is, should I move acan off that rock with those Palys as they are growing like crazy as always. There was like two on that rock and now six in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by YUP

Ok, so after thinking about it. I can move the acan frag but what do I do with all these wayward palys and mushrooms that float around the tank and attach to places you don't want them. I hate killing things and also am afraid of poisoning myself or my tank. Need some advice please?? What happens if palytoxin is released in the tank? Is it like an anemone and can crash your tank or just what? I have read a ton and everything leads to either taken rocks out of tank and removing them by various methods or trying to nuke them like pest.

All corals that reproduce quickly,have sweepers, or eat up realestate will become nuisances over time and unfortunately most corals fall into one of these catagories if proper care is taken and given time. My favorite coral in my tanks has started to destroy it's neighbors long ago, the only th7ng you can do is give em more space or cut it down to size. With palys you may need to just remove a rock as you said, just start giving them away, or destroy some do a water change and add some fresh carbon.

Some corals left unchecked just turn out being a pest in some tanks. I personally, and many others, won't keep low end palys,zoas,xenia,cloves, and star polyps in our tanks due to the problem you are having now and if they do they keep them under control with a little garening. For instance I no longer let star polyps on the main rock work and keep them on their own island, there are atill some places in my tank that I am fighting back yellow polyps too as they hurt the acros. If you want to be able to keep stoney corals on your rockwork you are going to have to beat those palys back.

• Like 1

Thanks Robert! Little bit later today I am goin to try an grab two little rocks I have with them on it and try to manual remove them out of water. I thought about scrapping them off the best I can and also squirting a little lemon juice on the spot that they scrap off of to hopefully keep them from coming back. I have to be careful though as both these little rocks have corals I want to keep. I will try and be surgical with this procedure:crossfingers:

Oh love those yumas by the way an hopefully I can snag on from u next time we meet up. Thanks again by the way. I will post picks of te frags I got from ya some of which are already growing:)

You can try and use some kalkwasser to keep some of the little buggers from intruding in on a coral but only do sparingly, a little bit at a time as not only will the paly dissolve and breakdown but the kalkwasser can raise PH and calcium if over used. I use it in several of my tanks without ill effects for the same or similar reasons so it is a cheap and effective remedy to some problems. Also, you could swap out some rocks from your local fish store for some coral free rocks. Maybe if we meet up I could trade some rocks with you. I will cut the Yuma here soon.

Ok well I experimented with two palys that I couldn't move the rock out of the tank. I injected one at the base with straight lemon juice and one it it's mouth. I'm curious to see what happens. I am thinking very much about just taken out one of these big rocks that has a ton on them and just letting it dry out of tank. I know that's way too much to try and kill in the tank. I also am thinking about just asking one of the local fish stores too about just switching rocks. I like the brown with green mouth palys and want to keep those. Just the neon and seafoam ones I'm done with, they grow everywhere

• 1 year later...