Event Venue

JManrow

We would like to hear some suggestions for good locations for PNWMAS events, such as Guest Speakers. In the past we have used meeting/banquet rooms at various restaurants and pubs, such as the Lucky Labrador in SW Portland. We also has a great prestation at the conference room at the Tualatin Hills Nature Center in Beaverton http://www.thprd.org/nature/programs/natureparkinterpretivecenter.cfmand also the Community Center out in Clackamas, and a few times at schools. We are trying to find a place somewhat central location, such as the Beaverton/Tigard/Wilsonville area. It need to be handicapped accessible and for all ages, as this is a family oriented organization. Walery's Pizza seemed to work well for the Christmas Party, but the majority of our membership is still in the Portland area. We would like a place that will seat up to at least 60 people.

Any suggestions are appreciated, whether is be a school, Grange Hall, Community Center, or restaurant!

I made a suggestion for a frag swap before the last PNWMAS officer change.  I never heard back.  I live in The Dalles and often take visitors to the Bonneville Dam visitor center.  They have a large outside picnic area with a lot of grass and covered areas.  In addition they have the sturgeon center, the fish hatchery, the fish ladders and dam viewing area and a really nice flower garden to tour.  It seems ideal for a family summer afternoon with a variety of activities for the family and kids while we eat and swap frags.  We could call it Dam Frags or some such nonsense.

Edited by Pontus
  • Like 4

I made a suggestion for a frag swap before the last PNWMAS officer change. I never heard back. I live in The Dalles and often take visitors to the Bonneville Dam visitor center. They have a large outside picnic area with a lot of grass and covered areas. In addition they have the sturgeon center, the fish hatchery, the fish ladders and dam viewing area and a really nice flower garden to tour. It seems ideal for a family summer afternoon with a variety of activities for the family and kids while we eat and swap frags. We could call it Dam Frags or some such nonsense.

This sounds like a blast and a great time! Plus it's nice for all of us who don't live in Portland!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone looked into OMSI? I have not so I don't know what there is or if it cost anything.

From what I understand, room rentals are very expensive at OMSI, unless the event can my sponsored by an OMSI Department and tied in with a current educational program of OMSI's.  For the most part, cost would be way out of our price range. https://www.omsi.edu/private-events

Attending IMAX Theater presentations at OMSI was done as a group years ago in the old PNWMAS precursor, the Marine Study Group. It was a great presentation on exploring the coral reefs. Doing something similar might be good for an event.

I made a suggestion for a frag swap before the last PNWMAS officer change.  I never heard back.  I live in The Dalles and often take visitors to the Bonneville Dam visitor center.  They have a large outside picnic area with a lot of grass and covered areas.  In addition they have the sturgeon center, the fish hatchery, the fish ladders and dam viewing area and a really nice flower garden to tour.  It seems ideal for a family summer afternoon with a variety of activities for the family and kids while we eat and swap frags.  We could call it Dam Frags or some such nonsense.

That could be a good Summer event and a chance for us all to see the place. Thanks!

Still need some suggestions a central location where Guest Speakers can give their presentations. We are planning something for April, so we want to have a location to start getting the word out ahead of time.

what about we fly the guy in from brs! Lol probably not gonna happen but that would be a awesome guest speaker!!!

what about we fly the guy in from brs! Lol probably not gonna happen but that would be a awesome guest speaker!!!

BRS Bulk Reef Supply - an excellent suggestion that we will definitely keep in mind! I am mostly concerned with finding a place to have these speakers give their presentations. We are beginning to get some very good options. Keep them coming in! JJ North's was a great one back in 2009 or so. Unfortunately it closed.  Restaurants that have banquet rooms to have presentations, while we all enjoy food & drink have always worked out well.  Lucky Labrador was good. IHOP has been suggested. In the past we have used Baja Fresh and pizza restaurants. We had a Christmas Party one year at Kwan's Cuisine in Salem. Hotel conference rooms work great for events like the Coral Farmers Market with Steve Tyree a few years ago. Does anyone have a favorite place that has a Banquet Room that would work for us? We are trying to stay away from high-end places where the cost of meals would be very expensive. Member homes or LFS work great for smaller meetings. We are planning on needing to seat possibly 60 people at April's event.

Edited by JManrow