Schooling fish in uneven numbers/myth or not?

siskiou

I'm adding a small school of chromis to my 40G (was thinking 4 or 6), but I keep seeing people recommend to get an uneven number.

Is there a good reason or is it just a myth that gets passed on.

What are your experiences?(scratch)

I would advise against chromis...There is a pretty good thread that chromis actual prefer pairs...

People will put five in the tank and they will hang and size up the others, then the smallest one gets killed, off then the next smallest one, etc... if you want schooling fish I would go with firefish or cardinals. Just my 2 cents.

anthias are cool, but they will outgrow your tank. Chromis poop, according to one well versed LFS owner, is like fertilizer to sps. And there are quite a few folks who have a school of chromis in their tanks. They are highly visable, and bring out shy fish from their respective hiding places.

well iv have six that i kept in my tide pools together going on 2 years a few jumped to there deaths thats how i ended with six but have had no probs with them killing each other in a 50 gal prop tank(i use them to naturaly feed my frags)and have clients also that have 6 or more for the last year with no probs so i gess what im saying is 50gal or larger u should be fine with six but as we all know fish that are normaly docile can turn murder in small systems but of all the damsels these are the only ones i trust not to go jehaad on my other fish and i get the schooling with out spending the big bucks for anthias and frankly i think there pretty(fish)

so i gess what im saying is 50gal or larger u should be fine with six but as we all know fish that are normaly docile can turn murder in small systems but of all the damsels these are the only ones i trust not to go jehaad on my other fish and i get the schooling with out spending the big bucks for anthias and frankly i think there pretty(fish)

I have 50G of water (maybe a bit more with the sump, but the tank itself is only a 40G (36x15x16).

If I do decide to try the chromis, should I only get 4 or 5?

Or is that too many?

I read about them some more yesterday and some people think they need to be fed several times a day (like anthias) to keep them from turning on each other.

How often do you feed your's?