Oh How I Loathe Vacation!

Bombertech

Well, it's that time of the year! Having to leave the house for days on end, relying on automation to take your place while you have panic attacks about who is going to talk to your corals/fish and fix your SNAFUs while you are gone. Sitting at my in-laws house in Seattle, its nice to be able to check on the goings-on at home without harassing the wife's friend who is feeding my fish while I'm gone.

Here are a couple easy tips for anyone needing a sitter backup/monitoring plan last minute. Feel free to chime in with your tips on making time away less stressful

-Web cams: I set up 3 webcams for my system. I can view the tanks, wave makers, sump, skimmers, heater on/off status, temperature, top-off level, sump level, skimate container, garage temperature, polyp open status (thanks GSP), make sure the nems aren't on a rampage, etc... I used a PS3 Eye camera, onboard camera, and a 5 dollar webcam from the local thrift store. A quick search brought up numerous apps for webcam monitoring from my phone (inlaw's internet is worse than dial-up so I didn't want to rely on WIFI)

-Auto feeder: the larger fish in my tank need fed, good to go! If you know your timing, you can even remote in and watch the fish getting fed.

With the new tank in fab mode, I'm considering adding in a dozen cameras to the control system. The other thing to consider is a physical override panel. Your apex is not N+1 so you should consider a backup plan. A manual bypass panel can allow someone locally to override your system pumps/equipment ON in an emergency. 4 pole relays can help with semi-automating power loss by de-energizing and switching to backup power if needed, just make sure you have common grounds. Diagrams of isolation valve locations and labels can help in the event of equipment failure. Install/stock backups for critical equipment such as heaters, circ pumps to allow time for someone who knows what they are doing to arrive and correct the deficiency. Write down emergency procedures for major issues (specify the location of the spare pump, etc). Buy yourself as much time as you can! It may make the difference between a close call and a complete failure.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the skimmate safety switch is a great addition! I have my stuff in the garage so an overflow isnt a bid deal, I watch the level but thats about it right now on my temporary system. Being a "Mission Critical HVAC/Building Automation Engineer" I love safeties/overrides/backup systems.

• Like 1

I am in Denver and my system is in Oregon. I will be gone a week. I have a camera and APEX, but I haven't bothered to check the system since Thursday. You can only worry so much. If its too big a deal I would get out of the hobby.

Checking your apex is actually easier than posting on this forum. Just sayin.

Checking your apex is actually easier than posting on this forum. Just sayin.

What are you saying?  If you read my last post, I mentioned logging in and checking the APEX.  Please read the posts prior to answering.  I know you don't like me, but surely you can find a better reason to annoy me.

Edited by Pontus